Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recent outings

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default recent outings

Since arriving home from my fishless trip to Woodgate and Monduran I have managed two fishing outings. Last Saturday a mate and I decided to try for a few whiting at The Entrance before the holiday crowds arrive.We met at the ramp at the respectful hour of 6am and headed down towards the lake mouth.We anchored in about half a metre of water on a sandflat.Using live bloodworms for bait it didn't take long for a few whiting to start filling the icebox.By mid morning we called it Quits, with 32 whiting,9 bream and a flathead.We didn't keep a whiting under 30 cm (Legal NSW size 27cm) or a bream under 27 cm (LS 25cm).In about a weeks time these flats will be swarming with family groups enjoying the safe shallows , making fishing very difficult ,so we were happy to be able to put aside a couple of meals each. My biggest whiting went 42 cm

P1110167.jpg

Some of the catch

P1110166.jpg
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Mick, one of those Whiting look a good 42cm.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I headed up to Lake Macquarie.I had kept the heads and frames of last weeks whiting and hoped to recycle them into a feed of crabs.Arriving at the ramp before daylight to be met by heavy rain.With a forecast of a fine day I hadn't brought a coat ,so I sat in the car until the rain cleared an hour later.I finally dropped my nets at about 6am.As Di had other plans for the day I was limited to 4 nets rather than our usual 8.I use lift nets that need to be checked every 20 min to half an hour so you can't move far between checks.I usually fill in the waiting time by trying for a few squid,but yesterday I decided to flick around the Zman lures Chewy recommended for Woodgate.Second cast and I dropped a nice flathead at the boat.First lift of the first net resulted in two large crabs and things were looking good for the morning.However,the crabs were not plentiful,and when I finished up I had 8 crabs in the ice slurry.What they lacked in numbers they made up in size.Chewy's lures added a bonus of a 70cm flathead and a couple more about 50 cm.

060.jpg

058.jpg

063.jpg

Top off the day,Di arrived home from a day out with her friends after winning $60 at bingo and waiting on afterwards to win a ham in the raffle.Success all round

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

That whiting was 42 cm.I didn't actually measure the crabs, but looking at the photo of the raw crabs,the crab at the top is over 30cm folded.The folded part of the claw is about 20cm each side,making a span of around 70cm.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You have done very well Mick, two great day's on the water topped off with money & a ham, good stuff.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

some good fishing there Mick
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good chewing there Mick
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a stonker whiting cant complain at that well done mick
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Mick hope u enjoy them

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez that's good going Mick.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast