Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings all.

Brother went down to the Fitzroy mouth today for round 2 of his battle with "big things".

Was cleaned up several times last week on 150lb handline without turning a scale. Got some other things but not what was cleaning him up.

This time armed himself with venetian blind cord on a hand spool and some 250 lb (110 kg) stainless steel leader. Hooks approaching 2/3 size of a can of 4x gold.

Whacked on a live 3kg GT and waited.

20 mins later it was on for young and old.

His hands took a beating and eventually the stainless steel leader failed in the middle.

Skin off his hands and swollen bruised fingers.

At times he had 3 wraps around a stern cleat with boat being pulled around. Thought of that classic Jaws saying by Roy Schieder " I think we need a bigger boat".

No success. He is convinced that one of his fingers is broken when it got caught up.

Retrieved what was left of his handline and put it away. Didn't want another round although he still had 2 more tackleshop made leader rigs left.

Wants me to go with him on Wednesday for round 3.

Luckily, I'm going unintentional barra scouting and cant make it.

Some big strong mothers at the mouth of the Fitzroy. Possibly groper or big cod.

IMG_1532.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1533.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1540.jpg