Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

P3250054.jpg

Fitzroy river yesterday. 4 metres.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Before starting on next chapter about colours in water, take a moment to think about murkiness of water in which you fish.

Any water with a turbidity of more than 25 NTU units allows very limited depth penetration of light.

After 1 metre ALL light is gone.

So where does that leave impoundments with their traditionally clearer water?

Gladstone Area Water Board claim that Awoonga has a max turbidity of 3 NTUs. Drinking water clarity but how does it stand up in the light penetration stakes?

Other water management bodies are very coy about releasing that sort of information in case it leads to trouble with "the greenies".

Wouldn't mind if somebody had info like that. Mary river has some info from near the mouth and upstream a bit. The 2 readings are as different as chalk and cheese.

Anyway, brush up on fluorescence 'cos that's what the next chapter is all about (coming to a cinema near you tomorrow or next day).

You might find it of use during easter break.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we are.

Fluorescence.pdf

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorescence part 2

Fluorescence 2.pdf

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Been up to Stanage Bay. Weather not so good to start with but ended up OK. Fingermark were on the go on gulp plus barra, threadfin king and blue salmon.

Crabs not so good although quality of bigger ones ok. Got a couple of big females up to 215mm.

Hasn't been any rain for quite a while to flush system out. Need that to happen for crabs to recover. They've been copping a flogging for a while with a normally productive area showing very few fresh crab workings. Have to go much further afield to find some and unfortunately that's where the pro crabbers are as well.

Pray for some normally unseasonal winter rain.

Have next instalment of series ready to go in a day or 2.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

If anybody is thinking of trying out the new MEGA imaging sounders be aware that they seem to have had their CHIRP capability "throttled back" significantly.

There is an increase in target resolution (size of the targets one can see) but that's due simply to the higher frequencies in use and NOT range resolution (ability to separate targets within range) which is what CHIRP provides.

Garmin and Humminbird are the 2 that have MEGA in their marketing sights. Garmin have a GCV20 black box conversion for MEGA but the specs they quote don't support the hype they make. Garmin engineers in the US are having another look at things.

I have one of these Humminbird mega units (a CHIRP 10" Helix mega SI g2n) and its certainly better than the earlier versions without 1200 kHz but what an opportunity missed by the manufacturers. But maybe "proper/real CHIRP" will be introduced on the next modified version (Gen 3 or 4 or something) so the marketing parade marches on.

In the case of Humminbird, they simply quote a spec "across the board" (on ALL of their MEGA units) that is actually quite poor. Most potential buyers wouldn't know what they're looking at anyway.
    Last edited by Douglas; 19-04-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

The last instalment of lure colours.

I've got all of these articles in one document. If a forum member would like a copy of that but is afraid that the bully boys on here will turn on them if they ask, just pm me for a copy. If you're afraid that the bully boys pet moderator will I/d anybody from a pm with a similar result, here is my e-mail address for a copy.

ronje1@optusnet.com.au
    Last edited by Douglas; 20-04-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Heres the good thing about the internet. You can post, and I can respond.
    In a way I feel sorry for you. Your obviously no fool, you can engage spell check and cut and paste, it appears you can fish, or you spin a nice tale - Ive seen other internet warriors ride on the coat tails of there fishing betters so Im not sure - yet your disgruntlement eats at you, and still you hang in here, its admirable or pathetic, this jury is out.
    Heres the thing ol mate, a lot of the lads on here have known each other for a long time,10+ years, some of the lads for a short time. Some of us have fished and camped together, some of us havent yet. Some of these blokes are my mates.
    Your name calling of bully boys and pet mods - theres only one mod here so your subtlety isnt that subtle - is both offensive and annoying to me.
    Stick to what you think you are good at, keep up your input, positive is so much better than name calling, great to have you here...when your not posting like a bullied school girl that is
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

" Your (not you're)" along with "coat tails of there fishing betters".

I don't use spellcheck, my friend. English isn't hard although "there/their" along with "your/you're" in just one line is a pretty clear indicator of who should.

Your little gang doesn't interest me at all. I used to be paid to put up with people like you and your bully boy mates. Now I don't.

One that I am p....d off with though is the one who had a go at Saph while you lot (including your pet "I and I alone " moderator) did nothing about it. Saph's pretty much defenceless yet your friend had a go at him because Saph couldn't follow what a conversation was about. Absolute grub. And you guys did nothing. That sends a pretty clear message as well.

Your pet couldn't shut down that thread fast enough when he thought there was more coming out about subjects that had been talked about that related to him and his utterings.

If you fellas get something out of those articles then good for you. That's what they're for.

Ironic isn't it that some members feel intimidated by you guys (although why escapes me) to the stage that they're happy to ask for the full article in private e-mails to me (7 so far) that can't be sourced or intercepted by your friend.

Meanwhile you guys keep up your mutual admiration activities. Members of the bath-water drinkers guild.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m going to wade in here. I am assuming you haven’t Met Did’s. (Yes it’s Dids you are referring to. Have the balls to use his name). The reason I assume you haven’t met him is because if you had, you would know what a measured and tolerant person he is.

I look forward to your response because I just know you won’t leave it be. But before you do, ask yourself to what gain? You won’t get anywhere on here trying to run down a guy that puts in a hell of a lot of work to keep this site running, a bloke I consider a great mate and is a top bloke. Nothing you say will change that.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast