Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A day in the Fitzroy

Mother of a 16 yo kid in my street asked me to take 16yo fishing.

Story behind it is 16yo was given a Jarvis Walker spinning rod and reel by his older brother a couple of years ago. Brothers asked mum if the young fella could go fishing next day. Mum said "no" as young lad had homework to do etc.

Older brother went somewhere else next day and got killed in a car smash.

Mum has never forgiven herself for not letting younger brother go fishing that day etc...etc. She had tears in eyes when asking me about young bloke. She (and he) wanted him to catch something/anything on that rod.

So off we went last Friday.

Couple of pix of young fella unintentionally catching a 54cm barra on his second cast. He was over the moon as you can see from the facial expression. As was mum later
    Unintentionally got 14 barra ranging from 54 - 82cm. Tagged and released them and kept 2 king threadfin so young fella could say he caught dinner.

Also released a smaller king (tagged), 21 gold-spot cod, 1 x 1m king (tagged) and a 1m bullshark.

With the exception of the young fellas 54cm barra, ALL the rest were caught on Jackall hard body suspending DD (3 m) Squirrel of sardine colour. Blue back/orange belly.

All fish were caught off a rock bar downriver.

Water clear there despite city barrage gates being open letting some low level flood runoff into salt.

Technique was to spotlock boat about 20m off rocks and throw into about 1/2 metre of water on edge of rocks. 3 quick winds to get the lure to touch bottom then small flick/jerks with small retrieve on the jerks. Pause for a count of 5 before jerking again.

ALL barra hit on the pause.

There were barra free jumping (3 at different times) and I haven't seen that for years. Could see barra swimming just under the surface in vicinity of boat along with the speedier blue salmon of about 70cm zooming around.

Dropped 5 barra along with 1 that cleaned me up (Squirrel lure, leader and line. Took the lot). Was my fault as I'd felt the line touch a rock on the previous fish and forgot to check the line before casting back out. Checked the leader (no damage) but forgot to check the braid itself.

Good day had especially by young fella followed by a grateful mum when we got back. Pressure is off now so I can revert back to barra fishing without any self imposed social worker tasks.

What about you guys wrt Squirrels? Use 'em?

.Attachment 34306Attachment 34307Attachment 34308

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top day Douglas.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Job well done mate, hope he gets a second trip one day.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Your a champion mate.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Douglas,pictures worth a thousand words.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding, very happy camper there
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your work mate, also love the fact the kid got some pleasure from the rod his brother gave him.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Great comments fellas but I felt more privileged than the young fella as I don't think he understood fully what was going on as much as his mum and I did. To be honest , the exercise was more for his mum.

Anyway, fishing mate and I are going back there tomorrow on a slightly different tide but we're more confident than hopeful about the outcome.

Meanwhile went and bought $200 worth of Squirrels @ $25 each. Now have 10 of that particular size and colour plus 6 of different colour and size. Hope to work out a few things tomorrow.

So what's the story? Do you fellas use Squirrel (Jackall Bros) lures at all?

Will let you know.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a very esteemed jack fishing lad that moved to Tassie that loved the Jackalls. Hank Tuned.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Great comments fellas but I felt more privileged than the young fella as I don't think he understood fully what was going on as much as his mum and I did. To be honest , the exercise was more for his mum.

Anyway, fishing mate and I are going back there tomorrow on a slightly different tide but we're more confident than hopeful about the outcome.

Meanwhile went and bought $200 worth of Squirrels @ $25 each. Now have 10 of that particular size and colour plus 6 of different colour and size. Hope to work out a few things tomorrow.

So what's the story? Do you fellas use Squirrel (Jackall Bros) lures at all?

Will let you know.
    well done great day
    jackalls i use in the dams great lure

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast