Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't used the squirrels but big Jackal fan. Good quality gear.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

the jackals go allrite, trebles aren't the greatest if you have to lock up, but its alla compromise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the trebles they come with are Owners but like all trebles Owners come in varying strengths. I think that on dam fish there'd be value in looking at ST66 of 4x strength on the bigger brother of the 79 Squirrels.

The 79 Squirrels have a very tight action and the big thing is that the lure suspends. I've got a couple of the bigger Squirrels (also suspenders) but haven't used them yet to see what the action is like. Will today.

A couple of months ago, I worked a Squirrel onto a snag and let it hang there while counting slowly. I got to 17 before it was taken.

I had to finally admit to finding a lure better than Ken Richardson's Richo Extracta Lures.

Will give a report tonight but one thing I will say already is that there is no shortage of middle size and big barramundi, blue salmon and king salmon in the Fitzroy since the netting stopped.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same re Richos and squirrels ATM, though I have both tied on, I tend to throw the squirrel more in the timber

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I'm the same re Richos and squirrels ATM, though I have both tied on, I tend to throw the squirrel more in the timber
    Thats because it is rather hard to replace the Richos now lol
    Brian i have managed to get a few jackels to suspend using a owner 66 on the front adjusting the rings ect as well got couple to suspend a very slow riser and a very slow sink

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

True that, I lost 2 Richos sardines in a tree line a month ago, near broke me.
    I re-tuned a Jackal the other day after the original trebles were destroyed, Decoy #5 rings and wide gape trebles

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Rakey, 1 of these days I am going to drop in unannounced and inspect your shed or where ever it is that you hide all of your goodies. You must have at least as much gear as Daz.
    I have seen Daz's so I feel confident that I can reach a fair conclusion (eg value, quality and/or quantity). Make sure you count your Richo's before and after I visit.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

As promised (although it took a day or two extra).

Went down river again on Tuesday looking for king threadfin.

Water a bit dirtier and tides going towards dark moon.

Wind would have blown the proverbial off a chain.

Not so successful this time but run was certainly much quicker.

Couple of unintentional barra got in the way of threadfin.

Stacks of gold spot cod again with a surprising number between 40 and 50 cm. Released them all (about 25) without bothering to tag. Boy, did the little buggers give the paint on the lure a touch-up with those myriads of little teeth.

Couple of photos.

82cm tagged barra with a slightly bronze back and a algae encrusted spear tag. Spear tag means that it wasn't a released fingerling as they're smaller gun tags or even micro tags. Reckon its spent time in fresh water (either 12 Mile Ck near Marmor or above the Rocky barrage)

Took a Squirrel sardine on the pause (again). Mate had asked me the time so I had to stop retrieving, twist wrist around while still holding rod one-handed and use other hand to pull watch face into view from under long sleeve shirt.
    Time was 11.05 am and that's exactly when the barra hit near the boat. Felt like a one-armed wall paper hanger with nits for a minute or two. Geez he pulled in the strong current.

Mate got a little king threadfin and I got another unintentional barra of 55 cm. He was really chrome.

Will let you know details about where the 82cm one was tagged.

Attachment 34313Attachment 34314Attachment 34315.
    Last edited by Douglas; 26-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Timed out for editing.

Rod is a Carrot Stix 6'9'' 10-20lb. I pulled the silly little micro guides off and replaced them with indestructible titanium recoil guides. Reel is a Shimano Exsence DC with 8:1 retrieve.

A very quiet reel which simply gets the job done with no fuss.
    Last edited by Douglas; 26-01-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like they might have improved the squirrels from previous years I wont use em again as had them destroyed by 80 cm fish twice few years back ,too expensive for what they are
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast