Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going up to Airlie beach - Where to fish.

Hi All,
    New on here, spent some time searching the forum on fishing the Mackay, Shute harbor or Proserpine river area.
    Some very good post and photos,and I have picked up some good ideas for future trips or adventures.
    We will be up in Mackay from the 12th Feb for a week, and was wondering what the area would fish like after all the rain and being on the backside of a full moon.We were thinking of driving up to Airlie or Prosy river for a day. Depends on the weather of course.
    Question is where would be a good area to fish, no secret spots just have never been there before, and asking a question is better than going in blind. last time I went to a new place in Darwin cost me a new prop. Not a good start to a holiday.

Boat is a BUSTA 420 with a 30 hp.

Thanks Laurie.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Loz. Welcome to the site.
    You can fish the mangroves to the right and behind the boat ramp at shute harbour. some good jacks and the odd barra and thready in there. also near the islands in the harbour are channels with coral along the edges. always worth a shot if its blowy for a trout or other reefies. if you get a heavy downpour there is a culvert on the road to shute harbour that drains a shallow lake on the left. if the water is flowing out of the culvert there is always barra and jacks sitting there and its worth throwing a placcy or shallow diving hard bod in there.
    Prossy river near conways beach is also good but infested with snapping handbags so be very careful.
    outside we have caught some nice fish at the bays on the southern end of hook island. the rocky points off most of the islands produce nice trevally and its always worth trolling a lure around these places as well.
    around Mackay try the pioneer for some barra and barkers creek for jacks and the odd barra.
    hope that gives you a few starters.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a ramp of sorts at Dingo Beach as well. Maybe 4WD only. Just looked at it from a distance. Access to some likely Islands and Glocester Passage. If your boat was slightly bigger, I would suggest around Rattray Is as well if the weather is ok. Make sure you pick up a zoning map where-ever you fish. Marine Parks are getting keen on blokes doing the wrong thing. Got 5 boats fishing in one green zone before 9 am off Cairns and last time they pulled up beside us in a yellow zone, they asked us to pull our lines up to check that we were only using 1 hook even though I could quote them the rules.
    Have a look at the Navionics web app. There is a wealth of info to be gained from there if you read the contours and look for the fish symbols.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Laurie

Search Kinchant Dam on here..... heaps of info and not far out of mackay

http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum...light=Kinchant

there's a start for ya

Good luck and make sure you post a report on how you go

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3Macks View Post
    There is a ramp of sorts at Dingo Beach as well. Maybe 4WD only. Just looked at it from a distance. Access to some likely Islands and Glocester Passage. If your boat was slightly bigger, I would suggest around Rattray Is as well if the weather is ok. Make sure you pick up a zoning map where-ever you fish. Marine Parks are getting keen on blokes doing the wrong thing. Got 5 boats fishing in one green zone before 9 am off Cairns and last time they pulled up beside us in a yellow zone, they asked us to pull our lines up to check that we were only using 1 hook even though I could quote them the rules.
    Have a look at the Navionics web app. There is a wealth of info to be gained from there if you read the contours and look for the fish symbols.
    The ramp at Dingo beach is a bit like hervey bay - when the tide goes out it goes a long way. At half tide, you could be 50-100m from the ramp in 1m of water - very challenging in a glass boat, but should be a breeze in a tinny. The closer islands - Saddleback - hold good grassies and trout 8 - 15m of water.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished out of Dingo in my tinny, watch the tide like the boys said, reefies and macks around the islands, would pay to check green zones. Kinchant is good, Teemburra also for fresh water.
    Had some massive sessions off the jetties at Shute live baiting at night, Barra queenies, Trev's, cod, sharks, can you still do that?
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Had some massive sessions off the jetties at Shute live baiting at night, Barra queenies, Trev's, cod, sharks, can you still do that?
    Yer Brian its still an awesome spot at night live baiting. I think you can still feed the groupers un-sliced loaves of bread as well. Awesome sight.
    Finally got one