Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mid straits explore

Had to opportunity to get out for a fish in the mid Sandy Straits area yesterday with a mate. Launched at Beavor Rock and headed off into Chewy country. Was partially an exploring trip and in that end it was great. Sus out tiny little creeks and drains to have a look in and hope to time the run out of them on droping tides so as to not get caught. Found a few little creeks with some good holes that were good but deserve a better going over with more time. Ended up with a feed of grunter, cod, pikies, schoolies as well as getting toasted (yep, brought a knife to a gun fight) on some big threadies and something I wasnt too sure on. Let quite a few go and saw plenty that couldnt be tempted and a few I wouldnt want to cast at. Mixture of plastics, hardbodies and bait.

Always great to go exploring and when you start to look on google earth, the surface has only just be scratched (sort of). Fun day!
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound's like a fun trip mate.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Down in Dids country mate. How were the bugs ?
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Down in Dids country mate. How were the bugs ?
    I was covered head to toe in clothing, but the other guy got hammered a bit.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Chewy, What strength leader do you run there (or should I ask Dids)? I was running 15/20lb, the other guy 40lb. I got toasted four or five times by good fish, but was get alot more bights. Out of frustration, I tied on a small (10-15cm) bight tippet of 40lb, but the bights reduced a bit. Was using 40lb when chasing schoolies and that worked (sort of!)

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Steve, you should have, a sporting man like yourself i'd go 15/20lb except on the mac, then your call, I know nothing there.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Yes Steve, you should have, a sporting man like yourself i'd go 15/20lb except on the mac, then your call, I know nothing there.
    Thanks Dids

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you getting out and about mate and getting onto some fish

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

40 lb jinki minimum for me down straits Steve sick of losing good fish , the bites do diminish a little bit but I'm not interested in the smaller fish to a degree so I do target the bigger ones
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Chewy, What strength leader do you run there (or should I ask Dids)? I was running 15/20lb, the other guy 40lb. I got toasted four or five times by good fish, but was get alot more bights. Out of frustration, I tied on a small (10-15cm) bight tippet of 40lb, but the bights reduced a bit. Was using 40lb when chasing schoolies and that worked (sort of!)
    Mostly I use 12lb Schneider mate. 15 on the heavier rods. If I'm throwing hard bodies, which is almost never, I'll use 30. In saying that I am using mostly 4-6 lb braid, 12 is the heaviest I use.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast