Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough day out with Funchy

I received a call through the week from Funchy about fishing early Saturday - something about flathead.....
    I made my way up and arrived earlier than planned, and to my surprise the master was already awake. We headed off early and fished a few spots before moving to the hot spot. First hookup was mine with a nice grunter - Mr Funch will say it doesn't count as it wasn't flat.

Not long after that I turned around and thought my fishing buddy had morphed into.....well I'm not quite sure how to explain it - you can be the judge of that.
    IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5316.JPG

We continued fishing some “skinny water” as pointed out by a clown in a kayak who had no regard for us as he paddled by as if it was his right of way. We kept an eye on him throughout the morning and he made his way back passed us later with the same disregard. You could’ve jumped on top of him from the boat.

We had taken note of the style of fishing from a couple of the Flatty Forage competitors and fished an area for eternity before deciding to walk to boat into the channel. Note to self – always wear suitable footwear. Who needs pots to catch sandies? I managed to stand on something sharp, (scared the crap outta me), I asked for the net and proceeded to net a the crustacean which turned out to be 2 for the price of 1 deal - returned to the water unharmed.

After that we hooked up to quite a few flatties but it seemed like we were fishing with barbless hooks. This was going to be our undoing for most of our trip.

The end result was 3 good fish for the table and some lessons learned – always keep the net and a hat in the boat. Lucky I carry a spare hat for the master. Food/snacks and cold water would also help too.

I received a call through the week from Funchy about fishing early Saturday - something about flathead.....
    I made my way up and arrived earlier than planned, and to my surprise the master was already awake. We headed off early and fished a few spots before moving to the hot spot. First hookup was mine with a nice grunter - Mr Funch will say it doesn't count as it wasn't flat.

Not long after that I turned around and thought my fishing buddy had morphed into.....well I'm not quite sure how to explain it - you can be the judge of that.

We continued fishing some “skinny water” as pointed out by a clown in a kayak who had no regard for us as he paddled by as if it was his right of way. We kept an eye on him throughout the morning and he made his way back passed us later with the same disregard. You could’ve jumped on top of him from the boat.

We had taken note of the style of fishing from a couple of the Flatty Forage competitors and fished an area for eternity before deciding to walk to boat into the channel. Note to self – always wear suitable footwear. Who needs pots to catch sandies? I managed to stand on something sharp, (scared the crap outta me), I asked for the net and proceeded to net a the crustacean which turned out to be 2 for the price of 1 deal - returned to the water unharmed.

After that we hooked up to quite a few flatties but it seemed like we were fishing with barbless hooks. This was going to be our undoing for most of our trip.

The end result was 3 good fish for the table and some lessons learned – always keep the net and a hat in the boat. Lucky I carry a spare hat for the master. Food/snacks and cold water would also help too.

Thanks for a top day and the refreshments afterwards Luke.

IMG_5320.JPGIMG_2140.jpgIMG_5321.JPGIMG_2143.JPG

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Master you say......... Nup, I'll leave it alone. You blokes should stay away from our spots.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Master you say......... Nup, I'll leave it alone. You blokes should stay away from our spots.
    Master in his own lunchbox....and we were in a different spot...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is that masked man
    0278-cc15-444e-86e2-5921ea7615a7.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You went twice ?? On the same day !!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wags, was a good day out after being confined to the house for so long.

Did's we fished a least 30 meters from your sand bar mate, practically an ocean away hahahahaaa.