Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

None I know of actually landed inside. But have been seen.
    Fish landed outside the heads, of estimated 8kg. Not seen pics, but trust the blokes to know it wasn't a yellowfin or southern blue at least.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to assume the warmer water outside coupled with the massive fresh flush has concentrated bait in the cleaner water just inside the heads, and it's just too good an opportunity for these pelagics to pass up easy feeds?
    Obviously, I knew that realistically, locking down a single day and fishing one tide change wasn't great odds to cross over with them if they ventured inside again. But hey, it made a good excuse to get out during a pocket of ok weather in a shit couple of weeks. And back at work this morning my boss doesn't seem too angry with me for just sending an email at 11pm Monday!

ps. Another oddity for the ever growing list of Sydney oddities, is a large rainbow runner caught "well upriver" of the bridge in the last week.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good darts Ducky. Thats a nooooooiiiice tailor

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Rainbow Runner up river is certainly a odd one.
    Talking about a odd one I got a big Blue Throat Wrasse a few weeks ago between Bluefish and North head.
    Either a Buddists release a few years ago or big resident, that resided in my pan.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so as of today I have seen evidence of more than 1 good size longtail caught well up the harbour.
    Including pics with landmarks evident.
    So now there is no more doubt, just mounting evidence that I'm shit at this game

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mentioned this.
    Mate who cleans bus shelters was down at Kurnell today and he said in the Bay he could see 2 schools of fish busting up. One was he recons Tailor and the other much bigger fish so he guessed Kings.
    He then rang a mate who lives at Kurnell and Jason said he has also seen them Porpoising, quite large fish to(for Botany Bay that is). He was certain they were Longtails.
    Neither of these 2 fellows are mugs either.
    I was going to PM you John to say I should give myself a Uppercut for doubting.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha no dramas mate. I heard a lot of stories I remained sceptical of before I heard it from people I didn't doubt.
    And even the people I didn't doubt about the species I doubted about the sizes quoted.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The one getting about on Facebook is from Pittwater too. I originally assumed also the harbour.
    Geeze how thick are they to be getting around Botany bay, Sydney Harbour and Hawkesbury systems all active today?

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught longtails in Port Stephens well up past middle Island.They seem to come in every year and Sydney Harbour is much larger,deeper and wider at the heads so I would be surprised if they are not regular visitors to Sydney as well.
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12