Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snapper in the bay...

I was just looking at my thread history and realised that it has nearly been year since I posted a snapper report. The reality is that Kyle and I haven't done too much snapper fishing since last winter and when we have managed to get out, the pickings have been slim!

Anyhoo, we decided to hit the reef edge at Goat yesterday as the tides, wind and weather conditions all lined up beautifully.

We knew if there were any snaps about, then the bite would be best before sunrise. About 15 minutes after we arrived my el cheapo Kato lure is smashed and a nice 38cm snap comes aboard. Another ten minutes and I also manage a 44cm beast on the same lure. Soon after Kyle's lure gets monstered and another 44cm fish hits the deck. Then Kyle gets another, also 44cm! I changed lures to a Luckycraft Bevy Shad and managed a 35cm snapper about half an hour later.

The bite was diminishing so we elected to hit the rocks and mangroves with surface and sub-surface offerings. First cast with a flutterstick Kyle hooks up to a sizeable tailor that spat the hook boatside. Then he gets a big longtom and soon after, a very golden Golden Trevally. I got a small dart and dropped a few unknowns.

We headed across to Peel where I managed a small tarwhine before Kyle dropped a good sized dusky flathead in the shallows around the Peel Island mangroves.

That was all she wrote on a pleasurable morning on Moreton Bay. It was just good to see some snapper again!

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top job Pete,you and Kyle certainly know your territory. Very Golden Golden that.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work boys, its about time you got back out on the bay, there's plenty of prawns about at the moment, so you'd think the snapps would be coming in for a feed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work fella's, top morning.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    there's plenty of prawns about at the moment, so you'd think the snapps would be coming in for a feed.
    Also saw a gazillion hardyheads, Dids - bait schools and nervous water everywhere but stuff all predators feeding on them other than a few seabirds...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done lads, thats the stuff!
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job fellas. Bring on winter.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Also saw a gazillion hardyheads, Dids - bait schools and nervous water everywhere but stuff all predators feeding on them other than a few seabirds...
    Alot of bait in the passage right now too. Prawns and mullet aplenty

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Work Noted
    To the shed!