Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Any rentals at Turkey Beach?

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mate like has been said few options around Yeppoon/rocky, corio bay north of Yeppoon and lower Fitzroy, port and the narrows south of rocky.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    Chris, How did your Mourylian Harbour run go?
    It's an interesting place that's for sure ..... Got good crab initially & a few jack but generally it was tough with very little tidal flow ..... one of the days we had just 0.3m of tide & it was certainly a case of "no run no fun".

Managed a feed of trout throwing placcies around the rocks on a couple of sessions .

I'd certainly like to spend some more time there though ...... but it's a hell of a long way to go from Sydney.

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

When do you anticipate going?

The flooding here will put a dampener (pun intended) on the upper parts of Fitzroy for approx. the next 4-6 weeks. Water dirty with barrage gates still open wide.

Went down to Port Alma yesterday where the water was surprisingly clear.

Stanage is good with accommodation, 2 shops, pub etc available. WRT fishing is the choice of pelagic/reef fishing "outside" to the east or estuary fishing to the west (down the straits) and around Long Is and feeder creeks. All types of estuary fish with barramundi and fingermark being top choices.

The wind at Stanage is either blowing from S to S/E at 100mph as 1 extreme or not at all as the other extreme.

One thing that you will get is mudcrabs down the straits. Big ones. Big tides in the area so long pot ropes. Have to remember to put ropes/floats high in mangrove trees so you can find them to check daily and also to recover them at high tide when leaving.

Don't know that it'd be smart to go outside in a 4m tinnie though. Blows up quickly.

If you decide to go there, let me know and I'll give you marks where I've gotten onto barra, fingermark and crabs and also where the hazards are.

It'll pay dividends to put/have a VHF marine radio (even a handheld) to maintain contact with Coast Guard if travelling alone. There's a repeater on Ch 81 up on hill behind Plum Tree that easily covers the Straits and Alf Nord who runs the CG base is one of life's good guys (especially if you throw him a crab or 2).

Boat ramp is not useable for all tide. About 1/2 up to 1/2 down so you have to time any trips to suit.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Its amazing area rakey ive done 3 trips there and one thing you must make sure your trailer is spot on the road can be deciving . Ive caught fingermark and jacks and samon in the first litte creek from the boat ramp porters creek . Ive also caught good crabs there too but a bit of travelling up the straights is the go big crabs 3kg plus . Stanage is very affected by the wind in open waters and in the sound . If you have a goodsize tub you can travel to the percy and duke island area great reef fishing out there. We have stay3d in a house or the big shed von has there is also free camping but you have to have everything not much in facilitys . Hope the info helps
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe look at Turkey Rakey, like anywhere when it gets warm, Sandflies will be thick. Or just come crab in the straights. Its got as many Muddies here as anywhere i have crabbed.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian

I have done three years in a row there. It is certainly different, but in a good way. The road in can be a trailer killer if it or your trailer are not in good nick. There is plenty of good accomodation there in houses or camping on the reserve. There is a pub/conviences store/takeaway and a marine/tackle store. Re the area, the tides are big and the ramp is not usable in the bottom bits of the tide (I need 2hrs eitherside of low). The consequence of this is that the current pumps through there and this can lead to standing up waves in the eastern side of the sound with some wind around but is ok elsewhere in the sound. The sound is full of little creeks, gutters, rock bars, sandbars, holes (one out the front goes from 2.5m to 30m to 2.5m in about half a dozen boat lengths with big fish in them. Commonly called the jew hole and we found several like this around the place), etc and are well worth a flick. The closest creeks cope a bit of pressure crabbing and fishwise, but less so a bit further away. Crabbing can be awesome if you are willing to work the tides/pots. eg, we dropped pots in one creek and then the rest in the next, went back to the first 40mins and pulled 4-5 muddies per pot. The other thing is the size of the muddies. We were getting them with claws the size of my hands.

I do run offshore up there in my boat when the weather allows and have had some epic trips there overnighting on the many islands, but be away that with a shallowish ground and big tides, a relatively small increase in wind can stand it up out there.

I think the big issue for the 'negative' reports up there is that there is this illusion that is going to be easy and so punters go thinking the fish and crabs will just jump in the boat. When they dont suceed, then they damn the place, but the truth is it does take some working out and thinking to reap the rewards (which can be amazing).

Well worth the trip in and it is nice to be in a place that isnt affected by too much nanny state rules.

If you need to know more ask or call.

Steve
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Brian

I have done three years in a row there. It is certainly different, but in a good way. The road in can be a trailer killer if it or your trailer are not in good nick. There is plenty of good accomodation there in houses or camping on the reserve. There is a pub/conviences store/takeaway and a marine/tackle store. Re the area, the tides are big and the ramp is not usable in the bottom bits of the tide (I need 2hrs eitherside of low). The consequence of this is that the current pumps through there and this can lead to standing up waves in the eastern side of the sound with some wind around but is ok elsewhere in the sound. The sound is full of little creeks, gutters, rock bars, sandbars, holes (one out the front goes from 2.5m to 30m to 2.5m in about half a dozen boat lengths with big fish in them. Commonly called the jew hole and we found several like this around the place), etc and are well worth a flick. The closest creeks cope a bit of pressure crabbing and fishwise, but less so a bit further away. Crabbing can be awesome if you are willing to work the tides/pots. eg, we dropped pots in one creek and then the rest in the next, went back to the first 40mins and pulled 4-5 muddies per pot. The other thing is the size of the muddies. We were getting them with claws the size of my hands.

I do run offshore up there in my boat when the weather allows and have had some epic trips there overnighting on the many islands, but be away that with a shallowish ground and big tides, a relatively small increase in wind can stand it up out there.

I think the big issue for the 'negative' reports up there is that there is this illusion that is going to be easy and so punters go thinking the fish and crabs will just jump in the boat. When they dont suceed, then they damn the place, but the truth is it does take some working out and thinking to reap the rewards (which can be amazing).

Well worth the trip in and it is nice to be in a place that isnt affected by too much nanny state rules.

If you need to know more ask or call.

Steve

I agree everyone needs to experince stanage bay it is a amzing place the locals ive dealt with are nice people . I know of one crab spot that produced fa tastic the only prob is if the wind comes up you cant get there and your pots are only soaking for 5 hours a day endless crabs . It will test ya boating skills out the tides are huge and like steve said the jew holes are awsome tho i did find out that fish sit in them while,tide runs been deep less curent down low then work the flats on the slack point of the tide . I will be going back there one day for sure but will do the weather man says its good and load up and go .
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brian I know some spots up the sandy straights I could take you, it's got lots good mud crabs and great fishing. I can also get access to a house where debs will be comfy if she'd like to come, but we might have to ask chewy along.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Hey Brian I know some spots up the sandy straights I could take you, it's got lots good mud crabs and great fishing. I can also get access to a house where debs will be comfy if she'd like to come, but we might have to ask chewy along.
    You are a thinker.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast