Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good reading Douglas, thanks for the effort.
    Do you have the dot charts in a larger format we can zoom into with better clarity?
    I presume this chart was created in excel or similar?

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the original from Bill Sawynok.

Happy to send it to you (or anybody that wants it). You can zoom it, reduce it or study it at your leisure.

Yep, its excel and converted to pdf format.

Just be aware that it will test the ability of whatever printer you wish to use.

Send me a pm with your e-mail address.

Bill Sawynok is happy for the spreadsheet info to be distributed and the explanations accompanying it are mine having gleaned it from Bill.

I'm sure Bill won't have any trouble acquainting you with some stuff that I didn't explain very well. U can find him via the Info-Fish website. He lives in Rockhampton.

Douglas
    Last edited by Douglas; 24-04-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Awoonga breahouts.jpg

Here's the Awoonga spill over and the subsequent massacre in the Boyne River.

The notes at the top of the graph shows how long it took.

Basically 12 months for the big ones (248 tonnes at an average of 8kg making 31,000 fish netted out). Hence the dumping.

The mopup took out another 90 tonnes of smaller fish (20,000 fish at 4 kg).

I make that about 50,000 fish going over with the size ranges as sampled by tagging (the yellow dots). I've asked Bill for the numbers that were tagged in that sample.

It was all over by the start of 2016.

Here are Bill observations and note in particular his comments about the 2 major sizes that went over the wall.You should be able to print this one.

Here is the Boyne flow data and Barramundi. There is no flow data after 2012 as BOM handed that over to GAWB and they don’t publish any flow data. I am currently working on getting the data on overtopping of Awoonga as that is the most relevant data.

You can see the effect of the overtopping in 2011 with 2 groups of fish leaving the dam. One group was from 800-1300mm and the other was 400-600mm. You can see the fish grow over time and the rapid depletion of the larger fish. By 2016 the fish stocks in the river were more like those prior to 2011. The last line of dots is from fish coming over the dam wall now. As can already be seen that there are 2 size ranges of fish again similar to those in 2011.

Also you can see some natural recruitment in 2009 and 2010 and again in 2015 but the level of recruitment there is nothing like that in the Fitzroy. I can do the same for the Calliope but the Awoonga escapees will not show up there yet as they haven’t made it to the river. They may not show up there if the commercials decide to take them out.

Bill
    Last edited by Douglas; 24-04-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

There were 3600 tag returns (orange dots) associated with the Boyne graph.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123