Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Green Island snapper...

So work was a bit slow and we were keen to see if there were any more snapper around the Green Island shallow reefs. This led Kyle & I to do a pre-dawn run in less than perfect conditions this morning. We were seriously doubting our sanity as a stiff westerly wind made for a very, very bumpy trip north from the Wello Point ramp. Luckily the area we had targeted to fish was a little sheltered from the wind by the island.

We knew that we had made the right decision when Kyle’s first cast saw his flutterstick monstered on the drop in 2.9m of water and a healthy 35cm snap came aboard. I was into the action with an undersize snapper about three casts later. For the next hour or so we both managed to get another couple of legal fish each with both of us getting a 42cm fish as our biggest. We missed quite a lot of savage bites to pulled hooks. Kyle lost a much bigger fish and also landed a small moses perch. We did lose a couple of fluttersticks – one to fish (Kyle) and one to a bombie (me!).

The snapper bite went quiet as the sun got higher so we chased some chopping mackeral around the northern cardinal beacon but without success. We rounded off the morning with a drift in the Ormiston shallows that yielded two small bream for me and a nice 30cm bream for Kyle.

We tried a few other lures but all of our fish came from the fluttersticks. Final tally was about 10 snapper (5 legal), three bream, a moses perch and many nuisance pike…

Gotta love a quiet Friday morning in the bay shallows!

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is a flutterstick mate? Nice trip BTW
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    What exactly is a flutterstick mate? Nice trip BTW
    It's a 70mm 7 gram sinking stickbait that used to be made by Storm. Looks a bit like the Storm Gomoku Flutter Slim.

Most fish hit it on the drop as it resembles a dying baitfish. Runs subsurface on a twitch or slow roll retrieve. Deadly on snapper, tailor, bream, flathead, grassies, bass, dart and trevs. Best used in water from 10cm to 4m deep...

Storm stopped making them about two years ago and I have been searching the world for them. Kyle just got 5 more from Malaysia, I recently got 15 from China and I'm waiting on some more deliveries from Israel and Latvia!
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice session Pete for first day of spring
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile