Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Woody Head (Iluka)

Hi knowledgable ones,

Talking the family to camp at Woody Head for a week during the school holidays.

There is a ramp to drop straight into a reasonably sheltered beach to access off-shore (not that I'm much of an off-shore person).

But, I'm good for in-shore - weather pending, so I'm wondering if there is any reasonable ground within 5km of Woody Head thats worth bouncing some plastics over, that may make dragging the boat down worthwhile?

I realise the Clarence is only 5km away on the inside, so I gather bread and butter species would be on offer there??

Cheers,
    Rhet

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

i havnt fished illuka rhet but have been in the Clarence a couple of times for some real nice flatty along the drop offs down front
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

7Kg Tailor.jpgHi

If you hug the shoreline on a good day, head north to Blackrock and there's heaps of coffee rock around to float pillies, Jig a variety of things and troll for mackerel. You can get good tailor off the bluff and surrounding areas this time of year. Yamba, Woody Head and Brooms Head are known for big Tailor. Also good Jew in the Clarence.
    This one went near 7 kgs.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhet View Post
    Hi knowledgable ones,

Talking the family to camp at Woody Head for a week during the school holidays.

There is a ramp to drop straight into a reasonably sheltered beach to access off-shore (not that I'm much of an off-shore person).

But, I'm good for in-shore - weather pending, so I'm wondering if there is any reasonable ground within 5km of Woody Head thats worth bouncing some plastics over, that may make dragging the boat down worthwhile?

I realise the Clarence is only 5km away on the inside, so I gather bread and butter species would be on offer there??

Cheers,
    Rhet
    The Clarence is full of flatties

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

A few year's back i caught a few just legal Snapper just out the front of Woody around the edges of the headland in my 3.6m tinnie.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres a couple of small bommie reefs off Iluka that are only 2-3 kms offshore. They hold flathead and jew, Ive fished them off a charter, but didnt get any marks. It seemed pretty barren out there and lots of searching would be needed.
    According to my chemistry teacher, alcohol IS a solution!

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    A few year's back i caught a few just legal Snapper just out the front of Woody around the edges of the headland in my 3.6m tinnie.
    That sounds like it is right up my alley.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

just avoid the local blackfish fishos. If you are in their spot when they turn up to fish, be prepared for battle !
    There is always good fishing off the bluff. Tarwhine , small jew, trevally, tailor. Pretty dangerous spot at time though
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

the middle wall, about half way along on yamba side is good for flathead.
    I was there for a few nights about a month ago.. we saw a lot of good fish caught including a just legal jewy off the headland @ Angourie
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.