Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrating bay sesh but with a tailor PB...

Went for a quick fish around Goat Island with Kyle yesterday morning, looking for the elusive snapper on the shallow reef fringe. With calm conditions and big new moon tides the odds were in our favour…

Kyle started well with an early 35cm snapper and another undersize fish. All I could manage was a stinky pike. It then went quiet for an hour or so. Just as the sun came up we heard a couple of serious boofs and I said to Kyle “Watch me get monstered on this cast”.

I threw my flutterstick to the reef edge, let it sink and twitched it once...BANG! I was on. Unfortunately for me it was a very large fish and though I fought it for around 30 seconds amongst a number of screaming runs, my leader finally abraded on its rough lips and my prize winning snapper earned its freedom, losing me a flutterstick.

We persisted for a while but other than a moses perch to Kyle, nothing else was interested in our offerings. We decided to head to another reef edge at Peel. As we approached Kyle claimed he could see an occasional chop along a rocky point. He threw in his white flutterstick and halfway back to the boat he was monstered. After a solid fight I managed to net his PB tailor at 60cm – a beast for the bay and at the wrong time of year.

While they weren’t there in numbers, the size was big! Kyle hooked up to tailor twice more and me once but we couldn’t get another fish to the boat as they threw the hooks during the fight. Eventually we moved to the reef edge where I worked another flutterstick really slowly. Then I got monstered again and again it was too big a fish for my light gear and my 4lb braid was abraded against a coral bombie.

Ten minutes later Kyle had the same thing happen to him (though he had 12lb braid). There were just too many big fish and not enough grunt in our superlight equipment. It’s the risk you take when you ‘go light to get the bite’. On the way home I picked up a small spangled emperor but Kyle’s tailor was the only fish of note on a frustrating Thursday morning session on Moreton Bay.

We also lost four precious fluttersticks – three to unstoppables and one to a line failure…

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

100mm fluttersticks on special at motackle for $5 Pete. Dam nice tailor
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    100mm fluttersticks on special at motackle for $5 Pete. Dam nice tailor
    Yep, we know that Snodge but the bigger version sinks too quickly...have now found a Chinese supplier who has a big selection of old stock for less than $6 per lure and free delivery to Oz...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Beast of a Tailor, cracker fish
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good Tailor.
    Nice.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez they are good Tailor.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice guys

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you hate it when they breathe in just as you take the photo, Nice specimen
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Exciting session Pete and Kyle, cracking Tailor guys.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).