Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, they are a pure fresh species. They can tolerate some salinity (salts are used as a basic medication for a lot of freshwater fish) but wouldn't expect they'd last long in 'saltwater'.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...r-riv/3311991/

just spotted unsure if mentioning same one since i got locked out of free articals

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the pioneer very well. The Dumbleton weir is the lowest in the river down stream goes fresh to bracish within a few hundred metres of the weir the big tides push all the way to the weir. Above is a large body of water as douglas eludes to for about 6 km or so. Then shallows up to rock pools up to the base of the Marian weir behind the mill and another large body of water up to a smaller weir near the bridge at Mirani

The water in the river comes from right up the valley gets pretty cold in winter. Has high flow in the wet seasons. I’m no expert on the peacock bass while a spectator fish probably don’t need them in the pioneer river.
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Same subject, saph. Just a later article.

I think the weir at Dumbleton Rocks is one of the supplies for Mackay water supply isn't it, Gypsy/

Apparently there have been other unconfirmed catches of Peacock Bass so I think the situation is a little more than just 4 breeding pairs.

This story has a way to go yet.

Maybe cyclone Debbie did a bit more than people first thought. Over-filled domestic dams letting these things escape from farm dams.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mate pretty sure. There’s a little pump house above the weir. Supplied the pleysowe sugar mill too I spose as with the weir at Marian. I would say irrigation of cane would have been an influence for building weirs along it too. Above the Dumbleton Weir is a massive body of water easy 100 metres across and 40 foot deep. I’ve had my boat on there is loaded with catfish which feed the local Barra in there. At time there is floating island of weed. It has a nice fish ladder for the bass to traverse if their is a population downstream of the weir. If they are upstream they might survive. I’m not sure of the lifecycle of the species. I have seen the weir flowing about 5 metres over and almost level on both sides.
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Same subject, saph. Just a later article.
    thanks was unsure since it locked me out for the month

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12