Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grunter virgin no more.

After an invite out with Ron (MSB), Pete and I met up with him at Donnybrook this morning around 5.45am. Introductions made, we set off in Ron's boat, a very nice 420 Renegade. The object of todays outing was 1. Meet another AA angler 2. Have a guided tour of the area and 3. Catch a mythical creature that has eluded me since I moved to Gods country 11 years ago, the fabled GRUNTER.

First location we anchored at saw Ron and Pete soaking some prawns and pulling a steady stream of undersize Bream, Grunter, Grassy and Tarwhine. I was flicking plastics for a steady stream of hits, a couple of short hookups and a decent tussle that also let go after a 10 second tussle. As the tide bottomed out, Ron and Pete pumped some yabbies and by this time the wind was starting to pick up and the rain started to roll in, in the distance. We headed for calmer water, but still to windy to throw plastics, so I went to the dark side and joined the boys soaking some baits.

Several moves were made over the next couple of hours and at one of those locations, I crossed paths with that elusive Grunter. Finally I had the monkey off my back, he wasn't a monster, maybe mid 20's. I then chalked another couple up in quick succession.

Pete and Ron nailed some quality Bream, which were dispatched to the ice. I hooked up to the 10.45 express train to Nambour, which saw around 50 metres of line disappear fairly rapidly in a couple of strong runs. Could feel the head shakes, but fishing 8lb, I don't think I was in with a chance and sure enough the leader gave out. Ron called it for a good Snapper, I'd probably agree or a good Jew.

Already soaked to the bone and with more rain heading our way, we called it a day and headed back in. Ron, it was a pleasure to meet you, a nicer person you wouldn't meet. Thanks ever so much for your hospitality today. Good to catch up again Pete, a pleasure as always. Hope to do it all again soon.

HOW GOOD IS AA. I JUST KEEP MEETING NICE PEOPLE.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate, you finally got him had to happen eventually. Now for a big one.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    Nice work mate, you finally got him had to happen eventually. Now for a big one.
    Won't hold my breath Baz, but yes miracles do happen
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work lads
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s awesome Gaz. I’ll get Dids to line up a boona trip in winter and we will improve your pb. On grunter. Hopefully.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan.
    Cheers
    Gazza