Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a bit warm and windy here.

44.4 combined with 40km/hr n/w wind, humidity of 8 % and a drought.

All the ingredients for a CQ version of a firestorm and we got it.

Cooler at the moment.

Couple of guys caught lighting fires here. A 26 and a 27 year old. Different instances.

Charged with arson so coppers don't believe it was simply d...heads burning off when they shouldn't. Must have been some intent involved.

Real story will out soon when they front court. Doubt that there'll be bail.

Under new arson penalties I think the max in these circumstances is 14 years slammer if proved.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Lure colours

Simpler explanation

The most useful result of all this research and conclusions is the how the pentration of colour into the water changes as the water clarity changes.

If you fish in clear blue ocean water, the graph on the left explains which colors can be seen best

If you fish in greeny coloured water like inshore or impoundments, the graph in the centre explains which colours can be best seen (different to blue ocean water)

If you fish in estuaries the color scale changes again with the graph on the right explaining things.

Look at the X underneath each graph. It moves to the right as the water gets murkier.

Barra fishing involves water of differing clarity (turbidity). Barra at headlands mean centre graph. Barra in estuaries mean the right hand graph. Barra in run-off clean water mean centre or left hand graph.

If the water is murkier than the right hand graph indicates (basically grey) and more towards brown like some floodwater, then the X moves further to the right (towards orange, gold and red) to show colors more easily seen.

Also you'll see that the visible depth changes from many metres on the left hand graph to centimetres on the right hand graph. Follow the X.

So, in dirty water we should look at orange/gold/red......shallow diver. If its got good action for the barra's lateral line then all the better.

Two very successful lures with those characteristics that come immediately to mind are ......................gold bomber...........reidy's B52 (gold or any with red stripes or both).

I think THAT is the secret of their long-lived success with barramundi.

Last edited by Douglas; 06-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Willy Weather

There's been some discussion about tide times at Lake Cooroibah and that's good. Makes everybody think.

However, there is a far greater problem facing the fishing community and that is the use of Willy Weather.

There are currently inaccuracies regarding W/W tidal predictions in Qld.

So far they've shown up in Central Qld and also at Noosa.

As they're the only 2 places checked then it'd be a safe bet to assume that the errors also appear in other places in Qld.

Because the standard prediction service in Aus is the Bureau of Met (BOM) and W/W operates in all parts of Aus, then checking W/W in other states is a simple matter of comparing W/W data with BOM data.

The attached shows what's been found in Noosa predictions. There were similar errors found in the Fitzroy R.

W/W has acknowledged that they have a problem (months ago when it was brought to their attention).

Happy to show anybody how to navigate and use the BOM Qld tide tables information around page 108 if they want.

My advice to everybody who uses W/W for tide info regarding times and heights to use BOM data until the issues are sorted out.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some info on tide gauges in Noosa R. I just tacked them onto the one I use for the Fitzroy for tides and floods.

You can easily see just how wrong the W/W height data for Munna Pt and Tewantin is AND how different the W/W data for Noosa Hds is from BOM data.

W/W sells an application via the Apple Store for this kind of stuff.

Near enough is good enough? Who'll know? I guess the only alternative is that W/W really didn't know how wrong they were/are.

So.…..how accurate is W/W data in other states?

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like we're going to get some effect of cyclone Owen after all.

Its currently in the Gulf and intensifying. Its expected to reverse direction, intensify to cat 3 and head SE back over the bottom of the Cape to Townsville, Mackay and then Rocky.

Won't be a cat 3 by then (unless it gets east of Tvlle and picks up more energy from the Coral Sea).

So it looks as if we might be getting some decent rain.

If so, the timing will be good to allow those little barra fingerlings to get up into the floodplain lagoons. Barra have been spawning at the Fitzroy mouth with the stable weather conditions and now river flow (flood/rain) is needed to enhance recruitment

.http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?ref=ftr

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Remnants of Owen expected in Rocky on Sun (its fast moving) and to be over Bundaberg on Mon before kicking out over Sandy Cape.

There its expected to...…….reverse direction again and head back north into the Coral Sea. Fair chance of it re-intensifying there.

Been a bit all over the place.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Ventusky has the same thing for Monday, ………...(off Mackay for a day or 2)

S...loads for Townsville area up to 9am this morning plus more to come during the rest of day.

Predicting a heap of rain just off Fraser Is (500mm to Tue). Not as much hitting the mainland though but they've had a lot down that way already.

Looks like Rocky is only going to get 100mm or so over the next couple of days with a bit more than that just to south (Port Alma/Raglan way). Good run-off stuff to get new barra fingerlings up into safe water (I hope).

Eastern Fitzroy catchment to get about 100mm or so as well over a few days so there'll probably be a run in the river.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough of your shit Douglas......ventusky is showing rediculous rainfalls at the area I am at. Barely had enough to wet the concrete here, my rain guage measures 8mm since yesterday 7am. Been patchy drizzle periods for the past 30 hours.
    Bom is much close at 10mm since 9am and it is still inaccurate.
    BTW the local BOM AWS is about 600 metres from me on the same hill.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

You have absolutely no idea of what's going on do you, my friend? Just jumped straight in without thinking.

You'll get yourself offside with your mates by responding, you know.

Perhaps you need a lesson in how to read accumulated rainfall on weather sites instead of the stuff you are talking about. Go into the Ventusky "Settings" page and have a look around. Might surprise you. Its simply a different version of what BOM puts out in respect of accumulated data. I know its a big word but if you work at it I'm sure you'll work it out. I'm sure Tackle Buster will help you out if you find it hard to understand things. He's well qualified in finding it hard to understand stuff.

Glad to hear that you live near a local BOM AWS ( nearly mistook that for a local BWS. Might have helped explain yr temperament).

Apart from that, tell someone who cares. I see that your spelling hasn't improved.

Here's a summary of what's happening here that I've shared with people who do understand things (and they don't live in SE Qld so they must be dumb).

Well, its be raining all day, …. 22 mm of it on my rain gauge.

Good thing that I couldn't get to the sandbag centre where sandbags have been handed out for filling over the last few days.

Been lots of people stocking up on l/life milk, bread, eggs and gas bottles at shopping and camping centres.

If only I could blame the bl..dy ABC for going overboard. Its not that they haven't been but all the media has been doing the same thing. The alarmists are breeding.

Local media is quoting that the eye of TC Owen will pass directly over Yeppoon so get prepared. And they have. Hard to believe this stuff.

Will let you know if I manage to survive the night without drowning.
    Last edited by Douglas; 16-12-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Right. Seriously I don’t have bandwidth to moderate a dick swinging contest every other day. Tony, if you don’t like what Ron brings to the table please do what others have done and hit the ignore button. Ron, take this as your first and final warning. If you specifically belittle any other member again publicly you won’t be welcome on this forum.
    Also, if you are going to throw stones about spelling and grammar you may want to check the CqF Facebook thread that just got closed that you were commenting on. Your comment about Antipathy makes no sense. Apathy might, but antipathy no.
    As you were.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast