Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Amendment.

Number of reported (tagged) king threadfin caught in Fitzroy in last 3 weeks = 220 (not 250).

Number 1m or more = 130 (59%).

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

P7110030.jpg

Lets have a look. These are my thoughts only.

Lure A.

Surface lure (stick bait) but it hangs bum down somewhat. Only gets body vibrations into water by rod tip control pushing water sideways (walk-the-dog technique). Darker back with fluro belly so highly visible from underneath depending on water turbidity. Has a rattle for audio attraction.

Would I buy 1 for barra?

Yep.

Lure B

Another surface lure that hangs bum down a bit. A surface popper.

This lure has 2 thing going for it.

Number 1 is the colour seen from underwater. White which is a colour more visible than most in almost any turbidity and water colour.

Number 2 is the rattle.

The fluro stripes are useless unless fishing for seagulls. The fluro orange stripes are on the back and only visible from above. But its a "floater" so they're only visible from the air.

Colour scheme dreamt up by an artist and not a fisherman. Pretty so known as bower bird lures.

Catching fishermen might not have been an intention but its sure an outcome with this lure.

Would I buy 1 for barra? Nope.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Fitzroy threadfin king catches last week by the Powell father and son team.. (Dan and Michael ).

In one session 7 over 1 metre with 140, 136,130, 129, 122. Mixed the photos up a bit and missed a couple, I think

Note the dirty water colour.

DP 1.jpgDP2.jpgDP3.jpgDP4.jpgDP5.jpgDP6.jpg
    Last edited by Douglas; 29-07-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Amendment again for the Powells. 7 over 1200mm

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

So what comes after soft plastic vibes?

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Eyes too big for belly?

Not a Fitzroy pic but a good one never-the-less.

80cm or so barra caught on lure with a smaller one down its throat with tail and wrist sticking out. Skin has been sloughed off the smaller fish by larger one's digestion process.

The smaller one had the length of the unsloughed skin sticking out and STILL the bigger one took a lure! So it probably wasn't hunger.

Other point to me was the size of what this barra calls edible.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys should be right up on the next bit that follows as a natural progression.

So what is it that stands out (forget about 1 fish eating the other and predator can't disgorge the prey due to reversed spine direction) about this photo?

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

138cm barra caught in CBD area of Rocky this afternoon. Mate and I fished the CBD for a couple of hours catching, tagging and releasing a couple of small king and small barra. After 2 hours along came another vessel and started fishing close by.

Within minutes they'd hooked up to a big barra. Looked a lot more than 120cm when it stuck its head and shoulders out of water.

After 20 mins these guys managed to get some of it into a dinky little shallow landing net and then they couldn't lift it into boat.

They came over to us and we gave them lip-grippers, 140cm measure mat. They measured the fish in the water and it came up as 138cm.

Mate took cell phone photos which I'll put up when he sends them to me.

Net man on the boat videoed most of the battle and should be something to behold.

In all the excitement I forgot to tag the bloody thing.

No justice in this world.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Here 'tis. They managed to get a photo after all. They spent about 45 minutes reviving it apparently and it swam away.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

So what is it that stands out (forget about 1 fish eating the other and predator can't disgorge the prey due to reversed spine direction) about this photo?

​Look at the lure and look at the background water. Anything familiar?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast