Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

They just keep coming.

166cm King.

That's 5 ft 5 inches in the old scale and bigger than quite a few adults

Last edited by Douglas; 07-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw some magic here in Rocky the other day that basically does away with the tagging system for data accumulation.

Local has bought a side-scan Biosonics sounder from the US and taught it to recognize fish shapes by modifying facial recognition technology used by security services and law enforcement agencies world-wide...

Biosonics scientific sounders start at about $100,000 US.

It can distinguish between barra and king for example and can also count them as well as give size.

So sounder can be told to reject data of barra and/or threadfin below a certain size or above a certain size.

I saw a section of river ( a couple of km long and both sides) that displayed on a map every fish that fell within the parameters set by the operator.

After a scan trip on each bank, that section of river showed 11,000 barra and king (each with an i/d number) that the sounder saw along with the GPS point at which it was seen.

Translated onto GE map.

Was purchased for business purposes for measuring aquatic biomass and doing things like showing the actual numbers and types of fish in a system, dam or anywhere else.

Imagine this thing being run past the mouths of the Mary/Alligator systems in the NT (or anywhere else) at spawning. It'd give you a map of every barra, gps, size etc of all barra taking part in that process.

It'll also recognize, count and GPS mark crocs or anything else that you want to teach it to look for. Run it up the Adelaide and it'll count the number of crocs, size and show where they are by GPS if you want.

I've never seen anything like it.

Here it is

https://www.biosonicsinc.com/products/dt-x-extreme/

Can look sideways and has low frequencies therefore range sideways isn't a problem. Can do that down to 38 khz (long range) or up to 1000 khz. Just pick which transducer to suit.

It also has manual control of pulse duration so can produce range resolution figures better than any auto CHIRP found on any of the modern expensive models.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Think laterally and outside the fishing box for a minute.

Teach the device to recognize sharks. Easy. Use the side scan facility to set it up on 38 khz or similar (long range) so that it covers a beach or bay.

Set the operator controls for say 2m or 2.5m so it will detect any shark that comes within its range that it is 2.5m or larger.

In such cases it sends a warning alarm either to the operator or to the swimmers (or both) that a shark bigger than 2.5m has been detected in the coverage area. The operator is given a spot on a map of the beach or bay where the shark is located.

No more drum lines which attract sharks. No more nets that entangle anything that comes along intended or not.

Some teething ( like that?) issues but with a bit of programming and algorithm tweaking, it'll work ok.

Sometimes star wars type technological change is difficult to comprehend in one big mouthful and is better digested bit by bit. That's what you're looking at here.
    Last edited by Douglas; 11-09-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Women That Fish (WTF) Barra Classic started here this morning.

http://tournaments.trackmy.fish/scoreboard.wtf

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the ladies persevered with strong 20 knot wind blowing straight up the river for the 2 days.

Maybe these 2 from the CBD might have helped.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Next instalment - Hard body lure action

Attachment 36730
    Hi Douglas
    Thanks for the very informative information, being an old man and a bait fisherman, I have just taken up fishing with lures, so the info is very timely helpful to me.
    MSB

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, MSB.

That bit was to do with hard body lures. There are a couple more articles to do with action of vibes, soft plastics plus a look into light and colour in water.

ALL of the stuff I've put up will be published as part of 2 well known magazines (a quarterly and a 2 yearly one). My payments from those articles are going to a charity in the NT.

That publisher sees the info as groundbreaking and intends to make money out of the articles via magazine sales.

I know that 1 well known high profile fisherman in Qld has gone off to do some testing on colours in dirty water now after getting wind of that particular article. Bit late as to make it obvious.

This forum had a head start on the info (and other groundbreaking news) and didn't see what was in front of its nose. Now it isn't any more. Opportunity missed.

I should caution you that talking to me may put you offside with other people on this forum.

Have a look back through the other stuff.

If you still wish to talk, that's fine. If you don't, then that's fine too.
    Last edited by Douglas; 26-09-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Thank you, MSB.

That bit was to do with hard body lures. There are a couple more articles to do with action of vibes, soft plastics plus a look into light and colour in water.

ALL of the stuff I've put up will be published as part of 2 well known magazines (a quarterly and a 2 yearly one). My payments from those articles are going to a charity in the NT.

That publisher sees the info as groundbreaking and intends to make money out of the articles via magazine sales.

I know that 1 well known high profile fisherman in Qld has gone off to do some testing on colours in dirty water now after getting wind of that particular article. Bit late as to make it obvious.

This forum had a head start on the info (and other groundbreaking news) and didn't see what was in front of its nose. Now it isn't any more. Opportunity missed.

I should caution you that talking to me may put you offside with other people on this forum.

Have a look back through the other stuff.

If you still wish to talk, that's fine. If you don't, then that's fine too.
    I always read your articles Douglas and find them interesting and full of good information, as for getting offside with other people on the forum because of talking to you, I would sincerely hope that would not be the case, I draw my own conclusions on people and never take sides, everyone is entitled to their opinion on whatever and whoever, and should be respected for that, thats how I have lived my whole life and have no regrets
    MSB

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

OK. Its good to come across somebody who thinks for themselves.

Went fishing today in Fitzroy. 10 barra in boat (dropped 4). Mostly little fellas but took 3 home.

Also got 4 king (dropped 1). Took 1 home.

2 interesting recaptures.

Mate caught a barra with tag no. R49846 @ 420mm.

Very next fish (10 minutes later) was tag no.R49845 @ 435mm.

Consecutive tag numbers meaning both tagged by same person, fish stuck together since being tagged and both fish recaptured by same person at same place within minutes of each other.

What are the odds on that?

Will let you know details as soon as I get 'em back from Bill.

I've added to that stuff you've had a look at so if you have a query yell out.

I put that stuff together to show the technical basis for some things, dispel some myths and maybe make things easier to understand.

The "missing link" stuff about colour changes is worth looking at again.

I applied some of it today in 2 different types of water.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.nt750.com/

$750,000 barra shootout in NT next May.

If you're up to it, sign on.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast