Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What wind?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What wind?

Had an itch to scratch Had no falatty fillets in the freezer so it was time to restock. Some wind was predicted but usually here you get a couple of hours reprieve in the mornings as the sun comes up. Saturday was no exception. Was on the water at 5:30am and fishing by 5:35am

Targeted points close to the mangroves just as Did’s had showed me countless times. Had three in succession and the keeper bag was looking very healthy by 6:30am. I landed a few more smaller ones and dropped a couple of good ones boatside then things went quiet so I moved. Shortly after arriving at the new spot Did’s had showed me last time we were out I put another keeper in the bag. Then I cast in close to the mangroves right on the point and felt that familiar tic as a flat one hit my placcy. I paused then lifted the rod tip to set the hook and felt a fair bit of weight. She resisted a bit but didn’t really know she was hooked so she got close to the boat before she went crazy. About now my phone rang so I answered and put it on speaker. Cousin Craig was on the other end and he got to enjoy the next 10 or so minutes of the tussle via speaker phone. At one stage I got her boat side and as I slid the net under her she thrashed and went straight through the net and the frame. Now my line was through the net and out in the water peeling off line as she got a second wind. Craig was now hearing a bloke shreaking and crying that he was about to lose a monster. Luckily I calmed down and managed to get it back to the boat and in the net. She went 75cms and was fat. She was more then half as wide as the brag mat if you look closely. She went back to get even bigger

I caught about 8 more and then decided to head home when the wind got too blowy. On the way home I was flagged down by a bloke and his young son who were stranded after his black anchor went bang. Good Samaritan duties out of the way I cleaned the fish and headed home.

top Day on the water

218C7E49-F30D-4895-88F9-3D3422DB131B.jpg

DD49CC9A-F1D3-4D2E-BF6E-1108B0C4D8FB.jpg

9029E9D0-7A3C-4DFF-949C-EDDD5286009A.jpg

1D6F3363-2CC2-4616-8385-774003CCE633.jpg

214BE3C9-0087-462E-940C-C4023E6A3F00.jpg

47E19F98-3A09-4E08-A0DF-BBC3C3924FA1.jpg

62F2DF1F-3962-407D-B742-156517FC0A5C.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Like your work there Funchy
    By the sound of it, that Dids knows his way around those Flat ones and what a humble man sharing his knowledge like that not wanting any praise.
    Also, good deeds never go astray.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top effort that. Your a lucky man too have such tutelage from the Grandmaster. Kudos to the tow, good karma is coming your way.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Funchy, a top morning on the very smooth water, Are those Falatty fillet's as good to eat as Flathead ?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job there grasshopper, your coming along nicely.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff mate. Can't wait to get up there again.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shagga View Post
    Good stuff mate. Can't wait to get up there again.
    would be good to catch up for a fish Shagga

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice food aging there mate
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Nice food aging there mate

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Had an itch to scratch Had no falatty fillets in the freezer so it was time to restock. Some wind was predicted but usually here you get a couple of hours reprieve in the mornings as the sun comes up. Saturday was no exception. Was on the water at 5:30am and fishing by 5:35am

Targeted points close to the mangroves just as Did’s had showed me countless times. Had three in succession and the keeper bag was looking very healthy by 6:30am. I landed a few more smaller ones and dropped a couple of good ones boatside then things went quiet so I moved. Shortly after arriving at the new spot Did’s had showed me last time we were out I put another keeper in the bag. Then I cast in close to the mangroves right on the point and felt that familiar tic as a flat one hit my placcy. I paused then lifted the rod tip to set the hook and felt a fair bit of weight. She resisted a bit but didn’t really know she was hooked so she got close to the boat before she went crazy. About now my phone rang so I answered and put it on speaker. Cousin Craig was on the other end and he got to enjoy the next 10 or so minutes of the tussle via speaker phone. At one stage I got her boat side and as I slid the net under her she thrashed and went straight through the net and the frame. Now my line was through the net and out in the water peeling off line as she got a second wind. Craig was now hearing a bloke shreaking and crying that he was about to lose a monster. Luckily I calmed down and managed to get it back to the boat and in the net. She went 75cms and was fat. She was more then half as wide as the brag mat if you look closely. She went back to get even bigger

I caught about 8 more and then decided to head home when the wind got too blowy. On the way home I was flagged down by a bloke and his young son who were stranded after his black anchor went bang. Good Samaritan duties out of the way I cleaned the fish and headed home.

top Day on the water

218C7E49-F30D-4895-88F9-3D3422DB131B.jpg

DD49CC9A-F1D3-4D2E-BF6E-1108B0C4D8FB.jpg

9029E9D0-7A3C-4DFF-949C-EDDD5286009A.jpg

1D6F3363-2CC2-4616-8385-774003CCE633.jpg

214BE3C9-0087-462E-940C-C4023E6A3F00.jpg

47E19F98-3A09-4E08-A0DF-BBC3C3924FA1.jpg

62F2DF1F-3962-407D-B742-156517FC0A5C.jpg
    Did you talk to Craig via Siri, he would have had an interesting account of the fight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast