Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What wind?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    Ok Rakey, make corrections to the map.....
    Those green zones closed a couple of my go to spots down when they were implemented, sucks driving past them.
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    No Worries Rakey. I find (sorry, Did's told me) that flathead will lay in ambush close to the mangroves just as the bait is able to get into the mangroves on a rising tide, or is forced out of the mangroves by a dropping tide. I have also found that the points seem to hold more flattys. I assume this is because it hold more bait due to eddys, shallower water and in these cooler months that means more sun for the big girls to sunbathe in. I have screen shotted google maps down your way to show where I would target if I went down there to give you an idea of what I am talking about (Apologies if this is a green zone, I didn't check and I have never fished here). I try and chase the first of the water up onto these points as the tide rises. If you can time this with sun rise/set it is excellent (Just like low tide is good). Really you are looking for conditions in which a flathead will have the best chance to ambush bait and this is one because the bait want to get into the mangroves for protection and they have to play red rover all over to get past the flatties.

Hope that explains it. Happy for you to head up my way some time and come for a fish with me in some of Did's spots.

Attachment 36848
    Thanks for that mate. Down where I bank walk you can see the lies right up on the edge of the mangrove finger roots, I figured they were either targetting the bait on the way in or out, depending which way the lay is facing, or maybe using the finger roots as a "fence" for lack of a better word, to corral the bait to them.
    I tend to target 2 things, drain mouths are obvious fish holding zones, and lizards will lie up in pretty damn shallow water in them. Allways worth a cast or 3.
    The other thing I fish is parralel to the weed edges that line parts of the passage. I just mosey along into the current, just moving forward slowly, and cast up current, bouncing the softy back along the weed edges, they seem to like sitting hard against these and facing into the current, which makes sense I suppose. Get a bit of Cod by catch doing this funnilly enough. If theres a bit of water in behind that weed edge holding bait, and you come across a break in the weed, you can guarantee therell be a lizard there, its just a bait highway.
    Nothing new for most, just what I do.
    Oh, and the Pro Cure scent, love the scent..
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234