Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ningi Creek Fishing Report

20180320_142711.jpg20180320_151753.jpgHi Everyone

Another brief report on fishing I have done in my favourite creek during the last 12 months, will keep throwing a few reports together until I catch you all up with current trips, or you get bored and tell me to stop.

Went out with my young fella Mark for a few hours fishing with live yabbies , fished my favourite gutter for nothing but unders so moved up to fish opposite the bank that comes out around half ebb tide directly across from the boat ramp, still nothing but unders and one freight train express to the mouth, probably a big tarpon or trevor, so ran back down the creek and fished a little drain that runs off a sand bank near the mouth of the creek and the young bloke scored a good whiting and good bream straight up, then all went quite, had a cold beer and pulled the pin.

Attached a couple of pics of the fish caught near the mouth, the drink coaster in the pic showing the fish on the plate is 98mm square so good quality fish.

Hope everyone gets a few this weekend, weather looks ok at this stage.

Buggered if I can get these pics to load in the correct rotation.

MSB

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron. Be interesting to see what this rain does now to the fishing.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron. Nice couple of fish.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice feed.
    Blue sky with Tee shirt and shorts, got to be happy with that to.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Ron.
    I went into Ningi Creek last saturday for a 6 hour session.
    Water was the cleanest I have ever seen it in there.
    Worked over the rocks upstream for very little result, then headed up and fished some deeper areas another km or so upstream.
    Raef got a lovely flatty about 60cm that went into the esky.
    Did a recce for new ting banks whilst up there...in summer they will fire but currently they are dead with no feeding signs at all.
    Did spot one big whiting about 40cm on one bank but it shied away when it heard the lure land 6 metres beyond it.
    Came back downstream looking for new patches of rock....plenty to be had.
    Got back to the main section of rock we fish and edged the boat amongst the bommies.
    Plenty of fish in there but all were shy, probably due to the clarity.
    Spotted one cod about 60cm and several jacks nestled in the rocks or travelling between them.
    My tally for the day was 3 under size flatties and about 4 bream up to about a kilo.
    Raef scored a few bream on top of the flatty in the esky.

Hopefully this rain will improve the water quality and the fishing might get back to how it usually is.

Come the warmer months I will be doing a lot of work on jacks in there now that I have found a lot more structure.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Thanks Ron. Be interesting to see what this rain does now to the fishing.
    Morning Pete
    Rain should help a bit, the big whiting don't like it too clear, we have to catch up for that fish, best after the school holidays i reckon, Ningi will be like the Bruce Hwy for the next couple of weeks and be more crab pots then BCF have in stock.

Will be in touch

Ron

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3Macks View Post
    Thanks Ron. Nice couple of fish.
    Thanks 3Macks appreciate your reply, I just noticed your are located in Cairns, I lived in Cairns in the early nineties and used to fish the inlet a bit and also Russel River, I lived at Redlynch Rise up behind the pub, went back there for business reasons a few years back and couldn't believe the development the place has had.

Hope you get on to a few.

Ron

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    Nice feed.
    Blue sky with Tee shirt and shorts, got to be happy with that to.
    Thanks Blackfish, standard fishing gear all year round in SEQ, ordinary weather just at the moment though
    Ron

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    Nice report Ron.
    I went into Ningi Creek last saturday for a 6 hour session.
    Water was the cleanest I have ever seen it in there.
    Worked over the rocks upstream for very little result, then headed up and fished some deeper areas another km or so upstream.
    Raef got a lovely flatty about 60cm that went into the esky.
    Did a recce for new ting banks whilst up there...in summer they will fire but currently they are dead with no feeding signs at all.
    Did spot one big whiting about 40cm on one bank but it shied away when it heard the lure land 6 metres beyond it.
    Came back downstream looking for new patches of rock....plenty to be had.
    Got back to the main section of rock we fish and edged the boat amongst the bommies.
    Plenty of fish in there but all were shy, probably due to the clarity.
    Spotted one cod about 60cm and several jacks nestled in the rocks or travelling between them.
    My tally for the day was 3 under size flatties and about 4 bream up to about a kilo.
    Raef scored a few bream on top of the flatty in the esky.

Hopefully this rain will improve the water quality and the fishing might get back to how it usually is.

Come the warmer months I will be doing a lot of work on jacks in there now that I have found a lot more structure.
    Morning Tony

You are right about the clarity of the creek at the moment, this bit of rain may discolour it a bit which will certainly help with the whiting, I am really interested to read about the areas you fish further up the creek than I venture, furtherest up I have been is about 800mtrs past the old fish hatchery site, some decent size rocks in the small channel prevented me from taking the tinny any further, it looks a real fishy place up there, would really need a yak to explore it, which you obviously have.

Thanks for the reply Tony, and good fishing.

Ron

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say it's great to have you as a new member Ron, your fitting right in, well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast