Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Surface snapper...

We’ve been struggling to find any decent snapper in the bay but the opportunity for a Sunday morning session at Goat/Peel in near perfect conditions was just too good to miss. We crossed a glassed out bay in the dark, with a big moon behind us, to arrive at our spot just after low tide and just before first light.

It was so calm that I had to throw a surface lure. After about ten casts with a frenzy popper I was rewarded with a serious swirl under my lure. I felt weight and tried to set the hook but I was too slow. Another short pop and all hell breaks loose with the lure being hit repeatedly before a good sized tailor cleared the water on the hit and graced the deck of our boat shortly after…

A little while later I managed a silver trevally and Kyle got a hook-up to a serious snapper that pulled drag easily before spitting the hook. We leccied over to a sandy channel between the reef edge and the deep water drop-off where Kyle felt that fish would cruise by regularly. Almost as soon as we got there he scored a 30cm snapper on a flutterstick. True to his prediction the odd tailor school went past and we managed another four of them in the next half hour, all on fluttersticks.

I hooked up to something that seemed big and cranky and pulled much drag on some screaming runs before the fight stopped entirely. I wound in to find a small snapper that had been ‘mackeralled’ with a big triangular section of his gut missing. Surprisingly it swam off strongly to die somewhere else…

We headed over to the eastern side of Peel, fishing the reefy flats in about 1.2m of water when Kyle got an air knot. While he was sorting it out he spotted some minor surface action and directed my cast. I was using the frenzy popper again (another colour as my earlier one was snipped off by a sharp toothed critter) and it got monstered 3m from the boat. Kyle called it for another tailor but as it got closer I could see it was a nice snapper. It went 40cm on the mat.

We managed another tailor or two, a bream and the ever-present pike before we called it a day around 10.30am. My only drama was learning to back the new vehicle (Isuzu MU-X) down the ramp to retrieve the boat.

A lovely still and overcast morning on Moreton Bay…

Cheers

Pete & Kyle

PS Also added a pick of a 41cm snapper I got at Goat last Saturday on a solo run...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your reports

Good darts

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea good report Pete, a fun morning on the water.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice mate, I can’t find a legal snap at all over this side
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Nice mate, I can’t find a legal snap at all over this side
    They are few and far between at the moment mate...we're having a pretty poor season
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Always look forward to your reports Pete.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

snapper on surface how good is that
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

How good are frenzy poppers... Always finding myself buying boxes of absolute sh!te on ebay to get hold of a couple more...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Pete

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report Pete,you and Kyle always manage to catch a few even when they're proving elusive.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).