Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default some mothers do have them

Bloody holiday season, brings out all the dickheads, I only reluctantly go out due to visitors etc wanting to go fishing.
    So I'm fishing in Pumistone with a mate in one of my favourite areas flicking towards the bank when this boat comes racing towards us at full bore and goes between us and the bank, the two guys smile at us as they go past. 20m later slow down to about 20 kph while one of them throws a crab pot into the mangroves then go zooming off and around the corner. Now this spot will be high and dry at low tide so I am supposing they'll be back before then or will wait till tomorrow to come back to collect it. Our immediate thought was to go and pick it up and lodge the pot in the trees so that any marine life caught in it wouldn't cook at low tide but we resisted being good law abiding citizens.

Prior to that we came across a couple of guys trying to squelch their boat back into deep water, we did mention they'd be fine as they were stirring the mud up too much for the bull sharks and stingrays to find them then pointed out where the channel was, that it only ran for about another 30m past us before it was mud and weeds all around. Now they get into the channel, go around us and start heading towards the same shallows again, we're just sitting there dumbfounded. Out they get again and push their way back and as they pass us say "I guess we should have listened to you.

The other day I counted 27 crab pots that were either exposed or would be exposed at low tide in less than 1km of the Passage and i'm guessing the people just want their crabs precooked. Maybe the laws regarding use of crab pots should include fines for these instances as whatever ends up in them will not survive.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

This time of year brings them out in force on all parts of the coast I recon Sam, both North and South.
    As for the Crab pots, I think the law should be made against stupid people.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a chargeable offence to place a pot in a drying location at low tide. It certainly mentions that a pot must be placed in a location that will not go dry....therefore it should be chargeable if caught.

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    I think it is a chargeable offence to place a pot in a drying location at low tide. It certainly mentions that a pot must be placed in a location that will not go dry....therefore it should be chargeable if caught.
    Easily caught, but not enough resources to police it.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was a rule regarding placement of pots and not allowing them to be exposed at low tide.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barramag View Post
    I thought there was a rule regarding placement of pots and not allowing them to be exposed at low tide.
    Sounds like it should but I couldn't locate anything

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

they have recently re-worded the legislation. Instead of “must” they have changed it to “should also mke sure pots are in sufficient water at all stages of the tide. My take on that is that they would be hard pressed to prosecute. (So marine animals are not exposed to the sun etc.) 80% of pots wouldn’t be in any water up here, except in the small drains. When crabbing up in the mangroves I look for little melon holes where I can. Sun isn’t an issue where I am.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Dicks like that only take a crab pot so when the got some crabs out of everyone else’s pots they can justify to themselves and the authorities that they didn’t partake in any share farming ant caught their crabs in a legitimate manor,

so on the subject of sharefarming, does the DPI and F chip crabs down this way, while living in Mackay there is a big program to plant chipped crabs in pots and wait at the boat ramps for the scum bags to get Back with the aforementioned chipped crabs. Every week there was stories in the paper with prosecutions,
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gippsy View Post
    Dicks like that only take a crab pot so when the got some crabs out of everyone else’s pots they can justify to themselves and the authorities that they didn’t partake in any share farming ant caught their crabs in a legitimate manor,

so on the subject of sharefarming, does the DPI and F chip crabs down this way, while living in Mackay there is a big program to plant chipped crabs in pots and wait at the boat ramps for the scum bags to get Back with the aforementioned chipped crabs. Every week there was stories in the paper with prosecutions,
    dont hear of it much Gippsy. They should. Money for jam.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...fcdfeb68e07996

There was also a pro crabber fined 5 grand in moreton bay for interfering with pots a few months ago.

It is being policed, just that they don't have enough resources to cover everywhere. I think it is time for fishing licenses, so long as the proceeds are put back into rec fishing and not into the public coffers for spending elsewhere. Qld has a big coastline, would need quite a few more fisheries inspectors to cover it.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast