Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Isn't it amazing how fast word travels. I suddenly have to feed 2 sets of relations out of my little pile of fillets. S'posed to cook it for them too! And drop over a feed for the in-laws. And I now have 3 deckies urgently wanting a trip.
    After all the harsh ribbing they've given me about my poor results lately I'm suddenly popular again.
    Just gotta do the loaves and fishes thing again I guess. They better bring the beer. (Unlikely... they all ignore my sign out front that says "If you didn't bring a beer, you obviously don't want one")

Ya just gotta luv it. Haha.

Cheers

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

good going. Were you fishing upstream or more towards the Reddy bridges ?
    I took my young bloke up one of the feeder creeks a couple weekends ago to retrieve some crab pots, no rods in the boat and we saw 2 of the biggest flathead ive ever seen sunning in the shallows.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi kingcray. The biggest flatty I've seen caught from the river came from up behind westfield about this time of year. It would've gone close to 90 I reckon. Mate caught it on a plastic while we were castnetting prawns up there some years back. But I fish downstream from deep water to the reddy bridges.
    Last edited by Thegurn; 11-04-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that was a lot of fun. The wife finally got sick of me complaining that I didn't have enough fish to feed her freeloading rellies and sulkily told me to go get some more. So off I went feeling quite smug that my plan had worked.
    Finally got the anchor down at 11am (yep.. I had to complain for that long) at one of the spots I fished the other day in the piney with about 12knots of wind. 10 minutes later it's blowing 29knots. Chased my hat up the river twice before stowing it. Made some record breaking casts with the wind at my back. Then it died away to almost calm for about 30 minutes. Pinned 4 flathead with one keeper as I moved along the dropoff. Then the wind came back again. Perservered for another hour with another good keeper and 2 tiddlers that were so small they still had the yolk sac attached. Gave it away when the big grey clouds chased me home.
    NOW we have JUST enough fillets.
    Was interesting again to get flathead at that stage of the tide in those conditions. I usually don't fish the run in for flattys but I might have found another sweet spot for them. Opens up more fishing days.

Cheers
    Reg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thegurn View Post
    Well that was a lot of fun. The wife finally got sick of me complaining that I didn't have enough fish to feed her freeloading rellies and sulkily told me to go get some more. So off I went feeling quite smug that my plan had worked.
    Finally got the anchor down at 11am (yep.. I had to complain for that long) at one of the spots I fished the other day in the piney with about 12knots of wind. 10 minutes later it's blowing 29knots. Chased my hat up the river twice before stowing it. Made some record breaking casts with the wind at my back. Then it died away to almost calm for about 30 minutes. Pinned 4 flathead with one keeper as I moved along the dropoff. Then the wind came back again. Perservered for another hour with another good keeper and 2 tiddlers that were so small they still had the yolk sac attached. Gave it away when the big grey clouds chased me home.
    NOW we have JUST enough fillets.
    Was interesting again to get flathead at that stage of the tide in those conditions. I usually don't fish the run in for flattys but I might have found another sweet spot for them. Opens up more fishing days.

Cheers
    Reg
    I love fishing the run in. As the tide rises it provides more escape routes for bait and as the bait moves up the flatties push up close to the edges and wait in ambush. A solid mangrove line is always a good place to target as the water rises and starts to provide access to the root systems for bait.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip funchy. I dunno if it's a location or skill thing or both but I've flogged the mangroves and drains and stuff and never seem to do any good down here. Seems the 1 meter or more dropoffs and bank ledges over the last half of the tide work better for me. And only after summer.
    I just reckon you're one of those guys that can catch fish on a wet lawn.
    But I'll keep trying. Please feel free to offer up more tips. I'm being pressured by the son who lives up there to get my backside up that end of the passage and find some fish.

Cheers
    Reg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you are going Reg, you will be vying for the title of legend soon.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

The next 4 months should be good going by previous years. But I doubt I'll dent anyones reputation. Thanks anyway. Geez you've had some shyte weather up your way 3macks. Patience is a virtue but I'd be going stir crazy long ago. Hope it improves soon for you. I can't wait for the high pressure systems to move up the continent a bit higher. Bring on winter!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Went out this morning nice and early. Got two keepers. A 64 and a 46. Both from the edge of the mangroves after the tide topped out and had just turned.

dinner sorted

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Go on.
    Rub it in.
    Maybe the early start is the go.
    Just wait til mondays report.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast