Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another day on the Pine and a wet arse

I haven't fished the Pine since the 2011 floods stripped the river bare. So after some good reports, I thought I would tempt fate and had a crack this morning.

Met my young bloke at Deepwater bend at 6.30am. Headed straight across to the northern bank and slowly worked our way up stream on the runout tide. Fished about a 400m stretch, returning to the beginning each run. Over the next 5 hours, we managed a dozen flathead hooked, for nine landed and lost 3 boatside. Kept five between 42 cm and 51 cm. Also 4 flounder, all around 33cm which also ended up in the esky. Also got my first GT, only a pup at 46cm but gave a good account of himself on the light gear.

Had a couple of rods rigged to throw at the tailor but didn't see any action. Apart from the occasional jumping mullet, there was no surface action anywhere. midday saw us pull up stumps for the long run back to the boat ramp, all of 150 metres.

It's at this stage where things went sour. Dropped the young fella back at the pontoon to get my ute. I was hanging onto one of the cleats on the pontoon. I then decided I would grab the launch rope from under the front hatch and get on the pontoon and lead the boat around to the trailer. I grabbed the rope and it was coming out of the hatch nicely, till I got to the edge of the boat and went to step onto the pontoon. The boat had drifted about a foot from the pontoon, so I took the step and planted if firmly only to have the rope catch on something at that time stopping my momentum of stepping the other foot off the boat onto the pontoon. Well now, I was stranded, one foot on the pontoon the other on the boat, yep you guessed it, at that angle the boat slides very quickly from under you. Slam dunk, into the drink with a shirt full of sore ribs after collecting the edge of the pontoon on the way down.

To add to the pain, I had my phone in my pocket as well. Anyways, got the boat out, stripped off down to my undies, gave my young bloke my esky with all the fish in it and headed home. Just glad I wasn't pulled over. Can't wait to do it all again, well the fishing part of it anyway.

Plastics used were 3" gulp shrimp on 1/4oz 1/0 and 4" plazzo's on 1/4oz 3/0, numbers on each were about 50/50
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day till the end, hope the ribs are not to bad tomorrow and no major damage done.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol you sure Gunna was not with you ,sounds like something he set up to be able to use his first aid kit, hope the ribs areok

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good morning turned to shit real quick mate, would have been a good one for funniest home videos though, hope the rib's aren't to sore.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You are a lucky prick. How come you get to have so much fun while the rest of us have to be sensible and responsible. Wish I had seen it. I don’t think I would have laughed - much.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you caught something and you got wet after. The pine has claimed me twice before wetting a line. Got dragged down the ramp on my arse by the boat when I slipped, and did an olympic-worthy somersault when I misjudged my footing climbing over the bow onto the trailer. Ended up losing a bit of bark and wet to my armpits both times.
    Apparently it was hilarious.
    Last edited by Thegurn; 12-06-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going gaz.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thegurn View Post
    At least you caught something and you got wet after. The pine has claimed me twice before wetting a line. Got dragged down the ramp on my arse by the boat when I slipped, and did an olympic-worthy somersault when I misjudged my footing climbing over the bow onto the trailer. Ended up losing a bit of bark and wet to my armpits both times.
    Apparently it was hilarious.
    Yeah Reg, apparently mine was hilarious as well, my young bloke pissed himself laughing for about 10 minutes. The best part was, there were 2 young blokes at the cleaning table and two other blokes retrieving a little sail boat at the time. I'm sure they all got a giggle as well.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    You are a lucky prick. How come you get to have so much fun while the rest of us have to be sensible and responsible. Wish I had seen it. I don’t think I would have laughed - much.
    I would have been disappointed if you didn't. Did have a bit of a chuckle to myself as I was driving home in my undies.
    Cheers
    Gazza

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

A good read Gaz, similar thing happened to me at River Heads(I didn’t get wet tho) I did get bruised ribs.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast