Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the idea of casting in the direction you are drifting to serves two purposes, but neither are prime for flathead fishing.
    Casting like that is preferable for waters deeper than about 3 metres....what it does is gives the plastic a life like dead fall....especially enticing for fussy fish like snapper. Secondly the direction you are drifting to is usually down wind allowing for a longer cast.

Flathead generally are pretty particular with where they sit....alongside edges of shallows, reefs, logs, weed edges etc. Unless your drift aligns with the preferred laying area, casting in that direction will result in fewer catches.

90% of the time I cast at about 45 degrees to the bank up current and work it back to the boat. I use the lecky to slow the speed the boat moves so my casts are generally 6 to 10 feet apart as i move along the edge.

Action will vary with the type of plastics being used.
    Paddles tails are a simple lift off the bottom about a metre and let it drop.
    Curl tails are similar only be conscious to maintain a bit of a droop in the line between the tip and the water, watching for anything abnormal.
    Flick baits are more erratic in retrieve but still maintaining the droop.
    Wild prawns are three short sharp flicks then a very slow sink.....1/24th oz jigheads work best with the 65mm lure.