Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: One For MSB

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One For MSB

Fellow at the ramp today had a bucket of pony fish. He was giving his whiting to the pelicans. Reckons the pony fish are heaps better eating. Clean the slime off, two diagonal shallow body cuts. Rub with salt and squeeze some lemon then fry them. Reckons if we try it we won’t eat anything else.

Ron- can you try and let us know please.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Fellow at the ramp today had a bucket of pony fish. He was giving his whiting to the pelicans. Reckons the pony fish are heaps better eating. Clean the slime off, two diagonal shallow body cuts. Rub with salt and squeeze some lemon then fry them. Reckons if we try it we won’t eat anything else.

wonder if fisheries checked him

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez Gunna, was this guy Italian or Greek (no offence to any Italian or Greek fishermen on the site) maybe he is right, I know I caught a couple of big blue catties one morning and brought them back to the ramp to give to a mate of mine for crab bait, an Italian guy was staying at his house and instead of crab bait they were turned into fillets, soaked overnight in milk, and deep fried in batter, my mate reckons they were sensational, go figure.

To answer your question I will give it a go for you next time I catch one, which shouldn't be to hard as they can be pests from about now till Xmas.

Big ask Gunna, but I will take one for the team, just don't tell anyone OK.

How have you been by the way, haven't seen any posts from you for a while, hope you are all good.

Ron

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

All good now Ron. Thanks for asking. I am in remission. Just haven’t fished enough. Today’s trip was my first for nearly six months!

The pony dude was a bit eccentric. Had A raft type thing with an outboard setup. And a straggly beard. Can’t trust that lol. But it was a full bucket of pony fish and he chases them specifically. Anything else is bycatch.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear Gunna, hopefully I will be in a position to take you fishing in the next month or so, specifically targeting pony fish is a bit out there I reckon

All good now Ron. Thanks for asking. I am in remission. Just haven’t fished enough. Today’s trip was my first for nearly six months!

The pony dude was a bit eccentric. Had A raft type thing with an outboard setup. And a straggly beard. Can’t trust that lol. But it was a full bucket of pony fish and he chases them specifically. Anything else is bycatch.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Sth African I believe and has a red hulled catermaran turned into a boat

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    wonder if fisheries checked him
    he probably didnt look as dodgey as u shano
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    he probably didnt look as dodgey as u shano
    Me dodgy nah not my middle name

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Good to hear Gunna, hopefully I will be in a position to take you fishing in the next month or so, specifically targeting pony fish is a bit out there I reckon
    Sounds good Ron ��