Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tincan bay tides ?

after all this crap has settled and everyone is moving about again i am going down to tincan bay for a few days .i have noticed that down there they have very small tides even on the full moon ,i presume this is because it is in the middle reaches of the sandy straits ,i am hiring a house boat and taking my 4.5 .has anyone fished here regularly for any heads up on what to watch out for regarding dangers ,hidden sandbars etc
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

well i just looked at map again and i am nowhere near middles reaches of straits,lol.tides are very small for here though ?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea Al, I think because it’s a dead end up there. Not much run either till you get into the straits proper.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of sand banks and rock banks, there can be a oood 3 foot chop coming down the bay with a predominant south easterly and run up tide, or northerly and a run out.
    Houseboats have some anchorage spots you can use usually. Take the boat up into kauri creek. Ledge along the island you probably know about. There can be pelagics around wide bay bar but watch that beggar.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

20200318_125024_resized_1.jpg 20200318_125042_resized_1.jpg

A couple of charts for you from my early days fishing there. Haha

Usually have to fish the ledges at turn of the tide Al. Maybe 1/2 hr or so but you can, say, fish Inskip say then scoot down to Tin Can and fish the turn there. Got a mate there that fishes all over for a variety of species. The fishing club blokes seem friendly enough too. I don't know enough about sandbars etc as I only fish there once a year, if that.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That time of year all those drop off and ledges have to hold good flatty and grunter I would imagine

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Plenty of sand banks and rock banks, there can be a oood 3 foot chop coming down the bay with a predominant south easterly and run up tide, or northerly and a run out.
    Houseboats have some anchorage spots you can use usually. Take the boat up into kauri creek. Ledge along the island you probably know about. There can be pelagics around wide bay bar but watch that beggar.
    I have never fished that area at all so all new to me

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Been some years since I had a houseboat there. We HAD to be moored on one of THEIR moorings by a certain time each afternoon and radio in. No free anchoring at night. Might be different now. And we got absolutely flogged by midges. The screens on the houseboat were ineffective at keeping them out. Otherwise a pleasant area to mooch around in.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Been some years since I had a houseboat there. We HAD to be moored on one of THEIR moorings by a certain time each afternoon and radio in. No free anchoring at night. Might be different now. And we got absolutely flogged by midges. The screens on the houseboat were ineffective at keeping them out. Otherwise a pleasant area to mooch around in.
    Lucky it will winter so bities should be ok yeh thought there would be moorings to get to

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Al

Hidden sandbars - I am your man for that.

This area is my local so when you are a bit closer, let me know and I will put together a bit of a mudmap of areas to look at and tide phases to work to give you a guide for the area.

Happy to take a run down and spill a beer with you if you want.

Cheers
    Steve
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast