Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Clairview

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clairview

Got a mate with a shack at Clairview that I have stayed in a few times travelling through. This time the boat and fishing gear went up for a six day trip with a mate. Weather forecast wasnt too good with a bit of wind coinciding with the higher tides to be able to launch. Trip was predominately aimed at getting a look at the area and determining timing of tides, launching/retrieving options and the different estuaries. The area does get some good tides with 5-7 metre differences so pots placement, access and ramps all need to be considered carefully. With really only four days (allowing for the 8-9hour drive plus the extra 2 for my mate), we looked at the Clairview, Cattle, Waverley and St Lawrence creeks. Clairview and Cattle were crakers with clear water, rock and sand bars and deep holes. You can only access them from the ocean so need decent weather for the run. We did 1.5 days there from Clairview ramp and got caught a little went the fan got turned to high and had to do a punch back to the ramp (exposed to the sea) in 1-1.5m in the dark. Retrieving my tinnie wasnt fun but we got it done with some timing and frantic winding between sets. My phone took one for the team unfortunately taking all photos with it. Crabbing was a bust there but the word was it has been for everyone. Fishing was a decent mix of cod, finger mark, flatties, grunter, pike bream and steelies. Apparently good barra and blues there but not for us. The Clairview ramp is really only usable in the top third of the tide. It does get some protection in SEers from Flock Pigeon Island. There is another ramp on the north side of clairview in a little creek but the entrance has nearly silted up and needs a decent rain event to clean it out again. It would have been ideal for launching and retrieving in the onshore breezes if open. St Lawrence creek was very tidal and pretty much dry when we looked at it with only very shallow holes. Not alot of structure. Waverley was the longest drive from Clairview but had all weather ramp to one of the side creeks. The downside of this ramp is that the ramp is not maintained any more by council and so is pretty muddy (slippery) with the bottom 1/4 all mud. We launched and retrieved there but need to be mindful of the big tides and really factor in the tides. The current hammers there and is typical of alot of the northern creeks I have seen with mud/mangroves, steep sides, dirtier water with big colour changes and good tides. We did a bit of searching and were able to find some decent holes and ledges that would hold good water in a decent low, so very keen to go back there now we have some info. A few of the creeks have weirs in them upstream and so would be worth a look for a bit of fresh action, but we didnt have time to flick there. One thing to be mindful of is there is no fuel in Clairview. Marlborough to the south (115km) or Carmila to the north (30km) are the options. We nearly got caught coming home with the nearest service station south out of diesel. Clairview is stunning little town with pretty views and caravan park that does a beer and a feed.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report Steve.
    How was the noise in the caravan park? We looked at at it for stopping overnight, Cairns to Brisbane but decided it would be noisy with the highway and North Coast rail line close by.
    There is a ramp on Camilla Ck near the mouth. Lots of sheds/shacks there too. Concrete base units there for a ramp upgrade when I was there. Same deal, heaps of mud on the ramp at lower tides. Mouth dries and big flats in front at low tides. I haven't investigated West Hill area but someone else was keen to try.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read mate, but sounds like to much hard work for me nowadays.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Stopped there many a time great little caravan park, good meals and great sitting on the chairs out on the grass with a beer looking out onto the islands. I have never heard any noise from the highway or trains when there
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch out for a random hovercraft on the flats now.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3Macks View Post
    Good report Steve.
    How was the noise in the caravan park? We looked at at it for stopping overnight, Cairns to Brisbane but decided it would be noisy with the highway and North Coast rail line close by.
    There is a ramp on Camilla Ck near the mouth. Lots of sheds/shacks there too. Concrete base units there for a ramp upgrade when I was there. Same deal, heaps of mud on the ramp at lower tides. Mouth dries and big flats in front at low tides. I haven't investigated West Hill area but someone else was keen to try.
    Wasnt a real issue surprisingly. Only time I noticed it was when a train rolled pass or when a 4wd towing a van locked it up and rolled opposite us. Certainly didnt stop sleep or bevy consumption. We were in my mate's holiday house near the ramp.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Watch out for a random hovercraft on the flats now.

I am sure there is a story to this. Hovercraft would be good at times.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Half the fun of those trips, is exploring new ground, learning on the run, what to do different next time. But most of all you were up there having a go and livin' the dream. Fish are just a bonus. Great write up Steve, and yes, Clairview c/van park has cold beer and great tucker.

Didn't hear any trains or traffic when I stayed there coming back from kinchant a few years back, but that could of had something to do with the cold beer and rum.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read Steve

I love stopping there either for an overnighter or just a feed - they certainly do a good burger at the caravan park .
    I often wondered what it would be like to go boating there but it just looked like hard work ..... it seems to always blow there - except for this time DSC_3174.jpg

when the tide is in .... it can be a very pretty place

Those flats out the front can catch you out ......... 500 -700 m out .

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nagg View Post
    Good read Steve

I love stopping there either for an overnighter or just a feed - they certainly do a good burger at the caravan park .
    I often wondered what it would be like to go boating there but it just looked like hard work ..... it seems to always blow there - except for this time DSC_3174.jpg

when the tide is in .... it can be a very pretty place

Those flats out the front can catch you out ......... 500 -700 m out .

Chris
    Surprising how many retrieve and launch from the sand. You would often see a boat being towed across the sand in a low tide, dropped off and then they wait for the tide to come in enough to float it. Tide moves in and out a long way so usually not a big wait. Alot of the locals use tractors.