Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ningi Creek Shit Slick

When to Ningi this morning to see if i could pick up a couple of grunter off the bank in the last couple of hours of the run out, confronted with a massive shit slick, and lots of it piled up around the boat ramp, have come across it before but never this bad. Amazing thing was there were heaps of prawns flicking and schools of mullet swimming in and out of the stuff, like it was all good.

Didn't bother wetting a line.

There is no sewage plant on Ningi Ck itself, it appears to be from runoff from properties that have septics or on site sewage systems that have over flowed with the recent rains we've had, Tony will correct me if this is not the case as he knows the creek better than me.

A thesis on the water quality done back in 2006 claimed the runoff into the creek from these properties was the main issue, recommendations were put to the council at the time but as usual nothing has happened. Next waterway to be stuffed will be Caboolture River with a massive marina planned for the eastern side of the river as well as a 15,000 people community called North Harbour which already has stage 1 completed and around 1000 people living there, plans for the marina include dredging 5k's of the river so larger vessels can access the marina, there is already a small marina on the west bank of the river up from Bakers Flats.

I will probably be dead by the time the marina gets underway, feel for Tony and his jew and prawning spots but.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a bit ordinary.........

Cheers,
    Roo.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a trawler or bigger boat has dropped there sewerage load on way
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Crikey that doesn’t look great
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by al49 View Post
    Looks like a trawler or bigger boat has dropped there sewerage load on way
    Hi Al
    Not a trawler mate they couldn't get this far up the creek to shallow for them, I reckon most of it will be coming from an estate called Bribie Pines, just on 350 small acreage lots all unsewered, been going on and off for the last 20 years, when its dry run off is minimal, when we get heaps of rain it gets ordinary to say the least.

Several large 300m2 house developments going on between Caboolture and Caloundra with a lot more planned over the next 5 to 20 years, unless they start treating the sewage to drinking class level the Pumicestone Passage will just be one big sewer draining into Moreton Bay.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that sort of scum most years at various places in the passage.
    It could be sewage from septic, but if that is the case MBRC will be contacting all septic owners to have them serviced....my brother's place at Burpengary must get his serviced every year and maintain records.

My gut feeling it this might be a algae bloom at this time of the year, all the old growth dying off on the huge amounts of weed beds in the passage.

I have seen this in all of the creeks that feed the passage at times, coochin, hussey, elimbah and ningi. Also seen it in Tripcony Bight too.

I saw a big dose of it in the Bongaree Canals about 8 years ago....stagnant water though.

Break out the poppers for tings if the prawns are skipping.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Caboolture River, I think that dredging a 3m deep channel through bakers flats would do a world of good to the river.
    I think the jew and threadies don't particularly like crossing quite shallow waters and would prefer a deeper channel.

Population growth however is going to kill SEQ in the next 3 decades.
    I think I might relocate to Mourylian Harbour when I retire....deal with the cyclones and the crocs for a decade would be better than living in SEQ for a week.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Population is the problem in SEQ, time to start stocking Mars.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Population is the problem in SEQ, time to start stocking Mars.
    Do you mean start stocking up on mars bars, I love mars bars