Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brisbane River threadfin?

Hi all, never caught a thready and would live to get my son onto one. If anyone e
    Has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

For what it's worth we are purely in it for the sport, so catch and release only... if it matters.

Cheers

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate there is a Miriad of videos on them caught in the river over the years I’ve only had a go at them a few times and the loader straight out from the entrance across the river was our main area , all fish caught on vibes
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

hAVE a look at bait tackle store on youtube
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Find them on the sounder first....vibes in very short hops near them....just enough speed to make them vibe....not rip at them.
    Threadies can be anywhere at anytime....they really don't have a set pattern.
    Often you can find them near street lights on the surface in the city reaches.

The pine would be unlikely for threadies now this season....bris river or cabo river they are being caught the last few days.

Most of my threadies are in less than 5 metres of water.....often where bait flushes thru with the the tide.....yet to find them where bait schools sit in a tide though.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Threadies will nearly always be facing the current with the feelers spread to feed.....you get down current from them...cast up current past them and hop the lures to them usually....they have lousy sight and hunt mostly by vibrations so small slowing hops within a metre of them usually gets a hit.
    Paddle tails work as well but not as good as vibes....yet to catch one on a split tail minnow though.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny enough, when I was up in the NT a couple of years back, the skipper got me to cast out a small soft vibe and rip it back as fast as I could through feeding threadies. Lost count of the number I caught that day. Never used that method before (or heard of it) but it worked a treat.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I used to target them land based further up the river right in the city.

They love big live prawns caught in the same area.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    "Fishing - The most expensive way known to get a meal for free......"

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone eat these?
    I caught my one and only (decent size) a few years back in the pine. Heard they were good on the chew.
    Nope. Not for me. Location have anything to do with taste maybe?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thegurn View Post
    Does anyone eat these?
    I caught my one and only (decent size) a few years back in the pine. Heard they were good on the chew.
    Nope. Not for me. Location have anything to do with taste maybe?
    I've never kept any out of the Brissy River. Used to eat them occasionally when living up North. A little fiddly to fillet but worth it though.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    "Fishing - The most expensive way known to get a meal for free......"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

There are far better fish to eat in the rivers here....super fresh they are half decent....a week in the freezer and they are no better than crab bait....my last one ended up being cubed for snapper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast