Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clairview sneak away

Just came back from a trip away with a mate to stay another mate's holiday hut at Clairview. Our last trip there was Oct 2020 apparently and it definately is a place that takes some thinking. Tides that disappear out a couple hundred metres from the ramp and an exposed shore ramp adds to the challenge. We took the opportunity to explore three creeks nearby (one we drove to and launched and the others we ran along the coast and into them) and all were very different to each other which was great to get the grey matter stretched to workout options. We threw some pots in and did pretty well with eight good muddies. Plenty of fish caught including barra (some legal and some unders), finger mark (some legal and some unders), jew, pike bream, grunter, cod (from 50cm to the smallest i have seen take lure), steel salmon, queenies and an archerfish. I didnt think archerfish were anywhere near there being freshwater and more FNQ (well that is where I caught them before), but it certainly looks like one to me. Smacked a zerek live mullet aim at a 65cm barra I dropped and then caught the cast after the archer!

Was a great trip and cant wait to get back to explore more creeks and try to work out the place a bit more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Sounds like a good mix of fish.

Geez, those muddies look tasty too.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    "Fishing - The most expensive way known to get a meal for free......"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Missed one. Quite a few this size

Also forgot to mention that we sat on the veradah watching a 3m croc hanging arounf about 30-50m from th e ramp. Made launching and retrieving more focused for the rest of the trip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Apollo; 28-03-2022 at 05:02 PM.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez it looks a great place for a fish and relax. The Muddies look bloody tasty to.
    Great report.
    Oh and that Archerfish is what I would guess is a Seven spot Archerfish, I also don't believe its been recorded so far south.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    Geez it looks a great place for a fish and relax. The Muddies look bloody tasty to.
    Great report.
    Oh and that Archerfish is what I would guess is a Seven spot Archerfish, I also don't believe its been recorded so far south.
    Thank you. That is what I thought it was too. Full tidal salt water, not far from ocean. Couldnt believe it.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a great trip Steve,I know nothing about Archer fish, but looks like a notch on the bed head to me. Kudos to you.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Steve , have stopped there a few times on way thru it looks a great spot to explore , tgat ramp is a ripper I have seen a couple of boats stranded out wide waiting for tide to come in
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip Steve,Archer fish in the salt is a bit different. Nice Crabbage by the way,
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking trip Steve. We were just talking about heading to Seaforth again next year. It’s a great part of the coastline. We used to get stacks of archer fish in Murray Creek just north of Mackay in full salt. Andy as a youngster used to teabag prawnstars to get them. Super cool fish and great report. Closest I have fished to there was notch point.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Great looking trip Steve. We were just talking about heading to Seaforth again next year. It’s a great part of the coastline. We used to get stacks of archer fish in Murray Creek just north of Mackay in full salt. Andy as a youngster used to teabag prawnstars to get them. Super cool fish and great report. Closest I have fished to there was notch point.
    Chewy, what is Notch Point like? Part of fishing in that area is having plan Bs in place for days where the wind is blowing onshore hard making the Clairview ramp ugly or the tides are not right for launching. we launched into Waverly Ck last time for a look and into Sarina Creek this time as a plan B. A local suggested we add Notch Pt as a place to explore next time, so would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast