Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First little session in a while.

Been pretty quiet round here.
    Floods shut down the fishing what feels like months ago.
    Then I picked up covid after being "encouraged" to start attending the office again, which stopped me dead for a week, then got everyone in the house one by one.
    So I haven't done much.
    But the boss said last night she was going to go buy some fish, I said hang about let's see if I can find one first since I've got tomorrow free.

Anyway, I dragged the kayak in for gentleman's hours, about 7.30. It was a tough launch, with not much water.

I brought my new gopro to test it out before a barra trip next month. Wouldn't power up at all. Good start...

After I pinned this guy, I realised I had left my pliers on the shelf in the garage...
    IMG_20220418_081639.jpg

Then I picked up this little lady and I realised I didn't have my keeper bag, my lip grippers or my knife either...
    IMG_20220418_082911.jpg

Some time during the battle the anti reverse on my reel gave out, which doesn't make much difference in the fight but is an absolute pain in the bum trying to use one hand to hold the rod and one hand to net...

I dispatched her with a screw driver and let her bleed out in the landing net.
    I thought OK that's dinner and I'm totally unprepared I'll pull out. Went and had a look at my launch spot. Remembered how hard it was to launch, and thought about how hard it would be to get out with no water. So decided to float around some more.

Got a few more little tackers.
    IMG_20220418_084829.jpg
    IMG_20220418_091056.jpg

Then saw some activity and threw a little knock off chubby (might be a 'saku' brand?) at the bait exploding.
    Hooked a really nice fish. Definitely larger than the earlier one. Probably (definitely) larger than I'd be happy keeping. Got it up, got the net in, the net was clearly too small but I didn't have a lot of options so dug it under her. Her head went in, the trebles caught net, and the fish went out.
    IMG_20220418_092044.jpg

Took the wind right out of my sails...
    Half heartedly worked along some more when this guy (not fishing) just paddled over in front of me and through all the unfished water.
    IMG_20220418_094122.jpg
    Did a u turn and half heartedly fished my way home.
    IMG_20220418_102637.jpg

While I was bending over to put the trolley under the yak, the Velcro on my pocket decided its no longer strong enough to hold back the weight of a phone, so that went in the drink (thankfully seems OK)

I'm now really tired. Pretty covid fatigue is very real. I hope it clears off before next month.
    Last edited by Ducksta; 18-04-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice morning on the water Ducky, shame about the big girl. Hope the recovery is quick.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Geee you had some bad luck Duck but at least you got out in finally some good weather.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea it was good to be out, and it's a glorious day.
    Even with the stream of bad luck and errors.
    I forgot to mention, I missed way more bites than I connected to as well.
    Also the last bit was supposed to say "post covid fatigue" - bit of a weird auto correct there.

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going Ducks, looks nice place where you are, reminds me of a couple spots in the Pumicestone Passage I go to ar least it was only another yak we often get those jet skis doing a run through.
    I think you and my brother would get along well, he's forever forgetting half his tackle/tools.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how physical fatigue means you're often mentally behind the timees too. Hope you're feelingbetter soon mate.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going Duckts.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after an absence of a couple of months from my local waterways, Ducksta stirred me up for me to get out there again.
    Got woken early by txt from mate saying he was to buggered to come out, now I was tired being woken early but decided that I would follow through.
    I decided on a calming experience which meant sinking baits. Got out there and the first thing I noticed was that there was only 0.5m of water in the channel at 3/4 tide ???

Found what looked like a honey hole near the new bar, settled down but just too much traffic from yaks, tinnies and jetskis just coming for a look at the new bar.

Moved away to a spot I knew produced and settled down to fish after fish, all just over legal or smaller. Mostly bream, tarwhine and grunter. It was a few hours of just me and the surrounds, not another boat nearby, certainly was a reset sorely needed. When I decided it was enough I decided on one last cast and it produced a nice tarwhine just on 30cm, lucky day for it as it went back.

On the way home decided on a quick flick and very quickly got s small GT, then followed by a 48cm flattie then a 43cm flattie. Being generous today they also went back.

All on all a great day till I got back to the ramp 2 hrs before low tide, 20 m out and too shallow to motor in, seems it's been building up over the last 2 mths. Had to do a beach retrieve but still was feeling good for taking time out.

Thanks Ducks for the inspiration, greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dignity; 19-04-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the go mate. Don't have to go fancy, just go.
    I've pulled up a little sore (not surprised) even from a small session. But interestingly today is the first day in about 2 weeks I haven't had a full on coughing fit.
    So there you have it. Fishing is the cure.