Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Must visit river systems up the east coast?

Hi all,

Taking a couple of weeks off in a month or so and will have a good week to travel and fish up the east coast. - Unless someone has some good suggestions in the southern direction.

Anyway, looking at anywhere between hervey bay and I guess rockhampton... thouh if I'm a few hours short of a must visit location then I'll just make it work.

Not asking for anyones special spots (though I'd be more than appreciate of any good oil shared)... just areas that one should try at least once, and what I should expect to catch there.

I won't have heavy enough gear for any of the big barra lakes, unfortunately, so its more or less estuary only. I also only have a 3.95m tinny.

On top of that, also would love to hear of places to stay too. Especially if they have power and I'll no doubt need to charge my deep cycles more than once.

Thanks in advance

matt.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, this rain will be running fresh into most of the estuaries up north for some time. I would keep an eye of river heights up the coast to guage when it returns to normal, then give it a little.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fitzroy and Alma systems would be my choice given the rainfalls in the past 6 weeks.
    Hervey bay won't recover in time with it's 3rd big flush in 5 months.
    The Burnett is worth a look right in the city centre.
    Ignore the creeks near 1770, they are in flood this weekend.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm maybe I should push back my time off until july or august.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all rivers north for you are going to be running a lot of fresh , they will be pretty difficult to fish for a while and ugly looking , maybe baffle creek might have cleaned up by then. Awoonga worth a look as it rose very little
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

2 months would be enough time though surely?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, there is another rain event expected in a week, so depending on the catchment size and shape, the effects could go on for some time. The other option is to consider a trip inland to chase barra in a dam or below a stocked dam in the creek.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the Dawson has been fishing alright

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    2 months would be enough time though surely?
    with the amount of water that has come down those systems and what is coming it might pay you to phone ahead and just ask the tackle shop in those areas
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Two months can have huge differences in the water quality but has nothing to do on whether the water quality is good in an area.
    Look for systems with smaller catchments for faster clearing and salinity level rises.
    Some rivers can be bringing water from many hundreds of km away for a year or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast