Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Feather

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Feather

a13.jpg

Attachment 41963

So anyways i will leap right in here and begin. With my work going pretty crap, and Jode opening a new Unit/ward in the ER, tensions have been pretty high in the Chew household. A couple weekends ago i had had enough of the world and finished early on the Thursday and packed up the dog and headed to Jodes mum and dads place at Burrum Heads. They have been out west at St Geoge for a few months again, and were coming back this week, so we were planning on heading down on the Saturday to sort out the lawn etc.

With my grumpiness i couldn't wait that long. I literally packed some clothes, fishing gear, and dog food and headed off, with no other plan than to try and find some solace on the beach. Wheeling into the BHP(Burrum Heads Pub) i grabbed a carton and a couple of treats and headed to the house. After getting the HWS on, and the pup sorted, i grabbed a couple beers and headed to the beach to watch a broody rumbling storm roll across the river. It suited my mood to a tee. It's a place that i spent so much of my youth and its always like coming home walking onto the beach and getting some sand between my toes.

a1.jpg

After a couple of beers, watching the sun go down i was struck by an epiphany, being that i didn't actually have anything to eat, and dog food didn't seem that great of an idea. Grabbing my wallet it was off to the fish and chip shop with the Pup. She did well, and in a couple minutes we were there. Unfortunately it was closed, and with no ability to drive to the pub it was a hurried skip to the 4 square, but in a stroke of luck, the bakery was open and doing burgers. I grabbed a chicken burger and headed home, crisis avoided. Belle and i chilled for the rest of the night, watching MASH and having a couple more beers, reflecting on my life choices.

Friday dawned(sort of) with a fair sort of a thunderstorm, and a couple inches of rain, so it was a steady start, breakky for Belle rigging a few rods. By 6am it didn't look too bad, so i stopped at the shop for a coffee and sausage roll and then launched the boat. Talk about harking back to my childhood.

The fishing was pretty steady, though i avoided all the close spots for Barra as the poor buggers have had boats and side scans on them since November pretty much with no break. They will be growing two heads next after all that ultrasonic waves hitting this seasons spawn. I fished a fair way up the gregory, and found a few fish once the water started to get dirty. I managed a few little grunter, and there was plenty of fish busting up small jelly prawns.

z13.jpg

z9.JPG

A few of them ended up being small jacks, and the amount of them about was encouraging to see. I think io need to get going earlier to get a few bigger ones. Had a couple decent hits, and the sun was beating down, tide was pushing in pretty hard, with small sharks everywhere on top, when my lure was smacked.

I called it for a shark but immediately a nice barra launched out of the water. I managed to stand on the dog trying to net it, but shes a chilled little thing and didnt stress. Even when i got the fish in the boat, after a quick look she laid back down. Bit different to Meg in that regard. Couple quick pics and let it go, even though i had promised the folks a feed as they were also staying at a house along the front. Was too hot with no cover, so we headed home.

After a nap and some lunch, jode turned up. We went out the pub for lunch followed by an afternoon walk on the beach, introducing Belle to some waves. She too to it like a duck to water, sticking her head under looking for fish., it was good for the soul.

z12.jpg

z5.jpg

The next morning was the same routine, coffee from the shop, and headed up the river. I thought i should try get jode a barra so stopped at Did's tree and had a couple of trolls up and back. About this point the morning went t!ts up. i was turning the boat round and told jode to throw her lure out, an old barra classic.

As it landed close to the bank about 30 yards back, out of the corner of my eye i saw some movement. It was here i made my first mistake, as the movement was a full grown white bellied sea eagle, and i should have snatched the rod off Jode and ripped the lure down. Instead i quietly said(not really) quick wind the lure. By the time jode realized what was happening, the worst had happened. I can tell you, i reckon over the years of fishing i must have said 100 times, " i wonder what ya would do if ever one of those buggers got hooked"

Well, i was about to find out. In a neat swoop, Eddie snatched up the classic, and became hooked in his talon, with the little Okuma now screaming, as was Jode. I grabbed the rod, not really sure what to do, but Eddie thought heading back to hos tree was a good idea. Seeing that as the worst possible option i loaded up the little rod, hoping the line didnt break, as that would likely end up a death sentence long term for our new friend.

With consistent pressure, he lost altitude, and flopped into the water a few metres from the bank. Starting the out board i calmly instructed jode to tie Belle up the back and grab the net, still unsure what my plan was. We got within about 20 metres and he took flight again, but with some good constant pressure he was soon back in the water. We got close, and to be honest, he was pretty quiet considering, but up close, his beak and talons were as impressive as i had always imagined. At this point his mate started swooping us. The day had gone to rubbish. Seeing him with the hook in his foot was pretty confronting, and while jode came to help, she had tears rolling
    down her face. The dog had gone to sleep.

In the end, i decided to leave him in the water, as he was still facing away, trying to escape. I reached down with the long fishing pliers, and luckily, the barb wasn't in. A quick flick and thankfully he was free. A bit of a shake, and he flew up into his tree, with his mate joining a few seconds later.

A good result in the end. All that was left was a floating feather. I am sort of kicking myself that i didnt get a photo, but there wasnt time and his welfare was the only thing i was interested in.

z15.jpg

But again, the result was good. Jode refused to fish again, so i did a couple drifts and picked up 3 medium grunter for the old man on the newish ST grubz. We headed home to patronize the pub again, with some good food, and colds beers consumed. All in all the fishing was pretty good considering it was just a couple not so early morning session. Again, it was really good to see good numbers of small jacks, and plenty of grunter.
    It was really good to get back to my roots, a quiet walk on a deserted beach, couple beers and a puppy trailing behind.
    Need to do it again soon.

z2.jpg

z8.jpg

z4.jpg

z3.jpg

z6.jpg

z11.jpg
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Chewy, that tucker looked bloody good, fish wern't to bad either.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Chewy, that is the life we all crave.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Chewy.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    "Fishing - The most expensive way known to get a meal for free......"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Chewy, good to see the new trainee is shaping up. I’m assuming things are no better at the train shed. If you need a qualified decky (with coffee and sympathetic ear) I’m available at reasonable rates.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice way to wind down, even dramas with the wildlife doesn't have the same impact as being at work.
    [I]Beer is the secret to catching more fish, because in order to think like a fish you need to drink like a fish[I]

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s the ticket!! All degrumpified now Mr Chew?? 😂🤣😂

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great story from the heart Chewy, thanks for taking the time to write and post it up.
    Oh and you new pup looks fantastic.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Gezzz you eat well up your way, well done.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well written Chewy. All stories need a kickarse component to be a great one.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast