Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A trip of problems...

IMG_1192.jpg

Well, here we go again on the intrepid adventures of the dynamic duo. This is my recollection.
    Hatched a plan to have a few nights up the straights, weather permitting. Rough plan was Dids was going to head up Wednesday, set up camp, prep everything and id shoot down Friday arvo or Saturday morning, dog permitting (thats another story).
    So got a pic Wednesday arvo, leaving Maroom, next setting up camp....in the wrong spot. after some convos camp was relocated, happy days.

Next message wasn't great, I am heading home, weather is rubbish, rain, wind apparently the tides played tricks, and the boat was high and dry all day (anecdotal account) but the biggest issue was that the new upgraded fire lighting device failed. After some you tubing i am led to believe that fire was created via a battery and some accelerant out a red 20 litre plastic container.

Camp was packed up and the trip was off, wind,rain,no fire. I needed to escape work so i was still going. Miraculously, the heavens cleared, and the wind stopped...allegedly, and camp was re-erected. I packed quickly and headed down in fantastic weather. Quick erection up, and the fire going, a couple beers were spilled. Up early the next morning and up to a nearby creek to chase a salmon. They were there but couldn't get one to bite.

Dids got s good flatty, and i managed a few good tailor. Back to camp, for a bacon and egg cook up over the fire(now we had a fire starting device) We headed out again, after a while, however the chosen spot was taken, so we went to plan b. Dids got some excellent live herring so we sat and got eaten alive by sandflies as the sun set, solving the problems of the world, only getting one nice flatty out of the deep water.

I had had enough of the bugs so threw my dummy out the cot and said I'm heading back to the fire. Unfortunately, the river gods played their cards and my crank battery had dropped a cell, so i had to endure 15 minutes of getting eaten alive, not in a good way, until i swapped the electric battery over.

Back at camp we had a great cook up over that fire (a lighter works great as it turns out) and then burned a heap of "natural" wood for a while and called it a night. I think Sunday was actually the least traumatic of the trip, with me getting home early and Dids having a good run back to the ramp and then brissy.. As always, the trip was great, just a few hiccups. Not many pics but i will share a few that i got.

HFVN2248.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Attachment 42147

Attachment 42147

Like i said, not many photos but some good memories...and lessons learnt.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Good report. The company of a good mate makes all the difference when things aren’t going quite as planned.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that I'm not the only bloke that has a trip like that every now and then.

Still worth it though, I bet.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    "Fishing - The most expensive way known to get a meal for free......"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I got dizzy reading that

good darts lads

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Always rely on the dynamic duo for an action packed adventure.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Still beats working, and many a trip like that has been had by me and no doubt many others, it's what makes you enjoy that beer all the better.
    [I]Beer is the secret to catching more fish, because in order to think like a fish you need to drink like a fish[I]

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as Chewy said it was not the best trip, the start at least. Here's my recollection of things, Chewy and I can see things from different perspectives at times, but it makes life interesting. So I headed north to wilderness country where the people are a bit different and the animals are very anxious, it was a good run with a Macca's stop for coffee, burger and fuel. Arrived around 2pm looking for a 3ish high tide to clear a passage to the camp. All good.
    After a decent trip though a little bumpy, I found what I thought was the camp spot I'd arranged with the boss, Part way int setting and the rain shower beginning for the first of many times, I sent Mr. Chew a photo of my erection in motion, 2 minutes later the SMS comes back NO WRONG SPOT, Its worth a demolition and rebuild around the corner he says, so wet sand and collapsed tent off I go around the corner. And yes it was a far better site, well done Boss. I had a light snack and hit the hay ready for an early start and clobber some fish.
    Six AM out of bed to find the boat was just dry of the water with the tide receding, so there goes fishing for 10 or so hours, which although a little annoying I was there for 4 days and a day sitting around camp doing camp stuff seemed ok.
    Now I'd decided to pack as light as possible due to the fact that it was a boat transport mission, and decided to not bring gas stove etc. and cook everything on the fire with a BBQ plate only. Now I'd filled my butane torch with gas just before leaving but it appears my can of gas was almost empty and therefore my torch was almost empty. Now its an old torch and the ignition plays up a bit and by the time I got ignition I was out of gas basically, can happen to anyone ( except perhaps Chewy who carries 5 different fire starting devices with him at all times) Anyway after a bit of conversation with my inner Bush Tuckerman I striped down some wire and got the fridge battery, a little petrol and wooshga I had fire the old fashion way. Bacon and eggs were enjoyed and all was well. Then the showers started and continued on and off for the next two days along with a light breeze of 20-25 knots. Needless to say not much fishing was had.
    Friday morning was looking as bad as the previous two days and Id had enough, so I texted Chewy and said don't come it's less than ideal (or something to that effect)I'm going home today. Now I cant get back to the ramp at low tide so it was going to be a 6pm high tide to work around, so I packed the boat slowly and headed off mid morning to fish my way slowly back through the day. Found a likely spot to kill some time and hopefully some fish, Chewy texts me to say he's coming anyway. Now the minds ticking away with the time, and the weather gets better and better, so I text chewy and say I'll re-reset up and see him Saturday morning.
    So the Boss turns up Friday night with fire devices and all was good.
    The rest of Chewy recollections are not to far from the mark, beer and food was had and not many fish were caught, sand flies got a feed at one stage, but life's good.
    Thanks Chewy we'll do it again soon, preparation is the key.

Cheers Lads

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Dids, even when the gods aren’t playing fair your determination to carry on regardless is a thing to behold. It does remind me of a trip where Walkie Talkie batteries didn’t work and Lubrication issues with the Paj. As the saying goes “wouldn’t be dead for quids”.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Preparation is the key Paulo, unfortunately electricity is my thing, I have little time for preparation

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Even a challenged trip is a good trip. Well done gents
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast