Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they are a closer resemblance to an actual sandworm than any other down here, but they all have their place.

The Bream sometimes shut down pretty hard in areas, and I think that offerring natural patterns can prove effective. The Powerbait in Clear colours seems to be working well with some anglers down here when this happens.

ActiveAnglerCrew

So is the sandworm the chosen soft plastic in Tassie at the moment or are the Power Baits getting a good work over?

The Powerbaits represent a smelt?

Cheers

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler
    So is the sandworm the chosen soft plastic in Tassie at the moment or are the Power Baits getting a good work over?

The Powerbaits represent a smelt?

Cheers
    Depends where you fish I guess?

Overall, I reckon the Powerbaits/Bass Minnows get more of a run at the mo....

Sandworm is just my Red Tag at the moment

I don't think that there is actually any 'Australian Smelt' in Tassie, but I guess some of them can look like a Glaxia or Whitebait?

ActiveAnglerCrew

Sorry mate, Galaxia is what I meant.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

When I use 6inch Sandworms I cut them in half to 3 inch or down to 4inch. I find they get the hook in their mouth much easier and you don't miss so many fish. Though I think it might be the challenge of catching a Breambo on a 15cm lure that keeps them away from the knife .

Troy

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Troy....

I have used the 6inch cut down also, but I feel that it looks more 'Natural' as it is - still get plenty of hook-ups but you just have to slow down the 'retrieve' and pretty much let them suck it down before you set the hook. I have found that more often than not, they go for the head anyway.

42cm Yellowfin Bream hey........ NOICE!!
    Are the big Yellowfin specimens very old over there? Or are the growth rates faster than here in Tassie?

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Isnt sight fishing for bream great fun!!!

Went out for a flick with one of our Team anglers yesterday and had an absolute ball chasing bream in crystal clear water here on the Swan in Perth. Although we only managed a handful of rats, we missed a stack due to tough windy conditions and missed strikes, but an awesome day.

Scored em on Zoom Tiny Flukes in Albino, Ecogear SX40's, Attack Minnows and a lot of missed fish on Taylor Mades.

We were fishing banks with muscle encrusted rocks and the odd snag and found the fish came from casts hard up and bounced off structure...somtimes having up to 6 fish scream out and perform the usual sit under the lure on pause, only to sometimes come up and snaffle it or nudge it on the pause. Great fun to watch!!!

ActiveAnglerCrew

Nice work Dave.

Is the bream fishery in WA just being discovered, similar to Tasssie, home of the BIG BREAM

Cheers

Active Angler Crew.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Umm not really mate. We've had bream tournaments since around 2001 or so I think. It is a growing market, particularly with the northern part of the state relatively untouched in terms of bream style tournaments. I believe WA is well ahead of Tas and SA in terms of tournament and sport development.

The south of our state has some relatively unfished waterways that hold some MONSTER fish...definately worth a look if your ever in WA.

Dave

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly is a rush Dave

WA sounds like a top place to chase a few aswell!

Tassie has really only jumped on board with the Tournies within the last 2-3 years, and now have an ABT Qualifier which is tops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast