Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ActiveAnglerCrew

Default Koombaloomba Dam

Hi Theo,

Are you able to advise what the road is like getting into Koombaloomba now?

Are you able to drive a car down to the boat ramp etc?

I saw some footage of a bike race that was around Koombaloomba etc and the road looked shocking after the big cyclone up there and just wondering if all is good now?

Also, what is the barra stocks like now compared to say 5 years ago in Koombaloomba.

What is the dam level like also?

Appreciate your guidance mate.

Regards

Active Angler Crew.

ActiveAnglerCrew

Tinaroo Triumph,

Help!!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Sh!t, sorry mate! Only just saw this now...

Ok... Road should be fine mate, no rain for awile so Road should be goooooood. Water Level... Im not sure of, as Stanwell.com have not posted the current Water Level for some time now. Last time around I saw it was around 85% said the site... would imagine it would be around 60% at the moment (Estimate). They are letting a fair amount of water out for the Tully River, and aswell as that it's been pretty hot of late. Id be fairly careful with launching, but you should be fine. I heard that Council were doing some work on it, whether thats true or not is another thing. If the ramp is not satisfactory, you can launch from the other point, which is the point right of the Main ramp. I myself havn't been there since Larry, but have had a number of mates visit since... Reckon the place copt it hard, but she's still good.

Since Koombooloomba is such a quiet place, Id imagine the Barra would be in very good, if not excellent numbers. I am still yet to target Barra there, as the Sooties are just too bloody fun. If your after Barra, head right up to the entrance of the Tully, and look for a great big stump right in the middle of the entrance, you shouldn't miss it. I have been told by mates that this particular area produces Barra every cast, and Id imagine they'd be of fair size now. Bright coloured lures with beefed up Rings and Treb's should do the trick around all that Timber.

Good luck! Go get em'

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

ActiveAnglerCrew

Theo,

Thanks a million champ on this info.

Great to get factual info.

Dan, youself and I should do a session up there if you are interested mate.

Hitting Cairns on the 22nd December through to the 14th January.

You keen?

If not a beer at least.

Cheers

Active Angler Crew.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Keen! You bet mate! Sounds a go-er.

If anyone out there is interested on more info for Koombooloomba, here is a good link...

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Koombooloomba.htm

Also included is one of those Google Image Maps.

Cheers,

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a write up on another forum of a big barra caught in Koombaloomba.

Good fish and believe the water quality in Koombaloomba is better than tinaroo.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Barra56,

The water in Koombooloomba is the most clearest water you will ever see, period. Sight fishing around the timber is very common, great thrill. Tinaroo water is horrible, dirty atrocious water - The Tilapia would be most to blame for that.

Do you have the name of the Forum that supplied the Pic and report of that Koombooloomba fish? Would like to check it out.

Cheers,

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very keen for a session up at Koomba one weekend. Only forseeable concern for me is my trailer on the roads. Also with 3 guys (4 if u include my brother) it would probably have to be a two boat assault.