Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ActiveAnglerCrew

Default Active Angler NORTH QUEENSLAND ADVENTURES - UPDATE!

Hi All,

Thought I would quickly log in to the website to say HI and give you an update on the fishing status.

Have caught 3 Barras so far - biggest around 67cm and the place I caught this barra was nothing short of incredible. Small cane farm creek with heaps of snag structures caused by Cyclone Larry.

Managed to catch a number of Jungle Perch and Sooties which is great to see.

Went fishing down the mouth of Johnstone River and was very very quiet with only with trevally.

Christmas Day tomorrow and then for my birthday we are off to Dunk Island and hitting the wharf and spit.

Take care guys and enjoy Xmas and I will update you all again shortly.

Sorry, photos are on the camera but will provide photos at the end of the trip.

Signing out.

Active Angler Crew.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

We await the photos Ben !

Good hunting from all at AA !

Cheers

Wayne and Litsa (Burping on Xmas Eve turkey)
    Chasing "The Donkey" in 07/08

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuff Benny! Weather came good for your arrival, great to see some Blue Sky's at last!

Went for a brief fish on... Thursday morning, down to a new spot I had to try. Absolutely beautiful spot, it's like a bloody mirage! Imagine the Johnstone or the Russell in the countryside surrounded by dry and dusty Hills, and you've got Theo's new spot! We arrived a bit late, I had a few fish play me into the sticks which made light work of my 4lb mono... Managed to land the 1 Sooty, a nice 34/35cm fish. Will be back

Sent you a Text Benny, hope you got it. Will be down on the coast Tuesday, if not Wednesday. Will be streaming all day by the looks of things...

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Sooty's and Barra! Jealousy is upon me........ I am stuffed to the neck with Xmas tucker with cramps in me gut , I need to get out and catch me a fish

Pete
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your having a ball mate, keep on catcin them.

Hyper tackle

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, the sweetwater fishing wasn't too bad for a week or so. The current serious rainfall and gusty winds will no doubt make it a bit tougher.

ActiveAnglerCrew

Hi All,

Another quick update.

Went fishing around Cowley Beach and managed to get some flathead. I can not believe the amount of flathead markings that are there. I would of had to at least counted 50 markings in 1 small bay. Fish ranging from 10cm all the way up to around 40cm. There are also heaps of sauries hitting the kongalai (apologies for the spelling, but basically they are small prawns).

Went fishing down Mission Beach Wharf and missed a 40 pound barra that broke off my leader. A nice solid salty. Silvery gleem with a nice big yellow tail. True signs of a 'genuine' salty. The worse thing about it is the when the fish jumped off about 2 minutes later and around 100 metres up from the wharf, she jumped again - ouch!!!!!

Fished around Mena Creek rivers that are plentiful and have been getting into heaps of JUngle Perch and Sooty Grunter. Nothing of huge size but plentiful.

I am also suprised the amount of small barra that are around since the cyclone and floods etc. There are barras where I have fished years before and you never would of caught any barra there but now, there are little barra everywhere which is terrific to see.

Did Dunk Island and will be doing this again on Thursday this week. Managed to catch 4 Wolf Herring, prime Mackerel bait, and also caught a few Golden Trevally off the wharf. Thankfully we managed to get stuck into a school of Goldens and caught around 5 fish. No signs of any big barra this time but they would be their.

Tuesday, heading off to Koombaloomba Dam which should see some Sooty smashing action. This is where I should be meeting up with Theo who will be giving us all guidance. Theo, we will be fishing out of a Canoe which should give us some stealth.

But having a great time however the weather has settled in and this is preventing us for heading out to the bluewater however never say die too soon.

Cheers all.

Active Angler Crew.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going Ben, I think we are all eagerly awaiting some photo's
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounding great Ben.....

Can't wait to see some piccies