Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FNQ Report # 1 - 3rd February 2007

The last week has seen a huge amount of rain fall in FNQ, from Cooktown down to Ingham etc. Here on the West side of the Tablelands we have had close to 200mm, with Tinaroo receiving a possible 300mm (Due to it's location). Last weekend saw Dan, Ryan and I spend alot of our time in our Motel, as the rain pushed the Fisho's indoors, but kept the Water-Skiers on the water. As you would of saw in my Report in the Freshwater Section, we managed to land a few Barra in the coldish conditions. Koombooloomba has also received a bucket load of rain, and Id think she'd be sitting at around 80% now (Rough guess). The Tully River is flowing very strong, and the Tully ofcourse is supplied of its water from Koombooloomba so thats a key indicator. Copperlode Dam near Cairns would also be up after copping a drenching, which should see the Barra and Jack go quiet for awile as the PH levels will skyrocket. Ofcourse you are only allowed to do Landbased fishing at Copperlode under strict conditions, but with all this rain the fish will be tentative and vulnerable to taking baits.

The Freshwater Streams around the North will no doubt be going crazy, and as Dan and I have observed it could take awile for these Rivers to slow and make for good fishing. Finding large Pools above or below fast running rapids though will make for good Sooty and Jungle Perch fishing, but be prepared to walk the miles to get there.

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Theo it has been bucketing down here for about a week now. The area inbetween Tully and Townsville apparently copped the most rain. In Cowley it got hammered fairly constantly all week. Sometimes a little bit of rain can improve the freshwater fishin' I find but when its big extended downpours like this it is really wise to consider giving it a swerve. I usually spend the time getting gear ready, eg stocking up on tackle or sorting out gear problems. I'd recommend staying away from the freshwater rivers. I've had some nasty experiences with being swept into rocks at the Tully and Russell when I shouldn't have been there. The worst incidence when my kodak7330 ended up underwater. The positive thing is when the floodwaters abate a a little it can make for some great fishing!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's going to be tough fishing up there for a bit!

Can you target some of these fish over flooded marshes etc?

To me THAT much water is simply incomprehensible!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Beevor,

Interesting point (Marshes). I think I will let Dan answer that one as he knows more of the places down on the Coast a hell of alot better then I do. But, Eubanangee Swamp near Bramston Beach comes to mind... After a great amount of rain it fills up quite fast, and small Creeks/Arms from the Russell River flow into it... So it could be worth a shot.

Looks like we are going to cop a further Drenching over the next week, with this Cyclone near Karumba set to bring a pile of rain here to FNQ. We might even get flooded in?

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld