Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WA report #1 - 4th February 2007

Hey there ActiveAngler readers,

I have been given the privilege to bring to you the latest in what’s going on here from the West Coast, which I am happy to share with you regularly. Let me just briefly introduce myself. I am a Bream on lures self-confessed addict/junkie. My main love is to wade up to my waist and cast lures at Black Bream as the sunrises or sets. I have fished for many species ranging from Australian Salmon from Esperance on the South Coast to Mulloway and Tailor at Kalbarri in the Midwest and this will be the area range I will report on.

The big media hype at the moment concerning the Canning river system is the reported sightings of a shark. The first report was early last week with what is believed to be a six to eight foot bull shark eating a pelican not far from Riverton Bridge. Then not soon after a kayaker near Shelley boathouse spotted it again and the third sighting was a shark eating a shagg of a buoy. The Swan and Canning rivers are well known by anglers to contain a small population of the nicknamed Swan river whaler’s.

The Canning and Swan rivers have been producing the occasional bigger Black Bream around the high tides on the flats but most have moved into the upper reaches of both systems. The warm sunny days spell Flathead so get out there and chuck something with a bit of shine along the edges of weed, rubble and drop-offs with the best time being when the sun is high in the sky. Some great news is that a couple of Giant Herring have come from Perth estuarine waters with live baiting being the key method of choice.

With the warm summer period the aggregations of Samson fish are in full swing with many charters and big boats heading towards the deep water’s off Rottenest to flex their jigging guns.

Divers in between Capes Leeuwin and Naturalist have reported seeing schools of Salmon moving North and the bulk of the migration shouldn’t be far behind. This is positive news for the greatly anticipated run which last year was rated the best in a few decades. I can’t wait to stress the bream gear on some 6kg Salmon on lures.

cheers

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Pete, lets hope for another bumper Salmon season like last year again, will definately be chasing them on some ZipBaits.

Also still Chopper Tailor about in the River and a Mate of mine has been getting some big ones up at Cervantes off the Jetty and Hill River around sunset.

Salmon Season cant wait

Hyper Tackle

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top Report Pete....

Man, there's so many places I need to fish!

For some reason - I can't see those pics? I have refreshed it a few times

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

fixed
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

ActiveAnglerCrew

Terrific - nice 2nd photo mate.

Now if that is the lure you won with the Xmas Giveaway, she is certainly getting a working mate - I can see all markings on the lure?

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Pics Pete

I know one of our lures when I see one and Pete tells me that the ZipBaits Khamsin Jr DR has really been getting some fish, as you can see by the wear.

Hyper Tackle

ActiveAnglerCrew

She certainly has a nice natural colour - that is for sure.