Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default success on lures

went out on the swan around maylands saturday arvo with a mate in his boat trying sp's . still trying to get the hang of retrieves , we both managed to snag a tree at the same time that was hanging over the water and as we where yanking on the branches we found a river2sea lodged in the same spot . SCORE . anyhoo i managed to pull in two fish on sandworms that stu gave me to try ( thanks stu ) one was a small bream and the other a flathead . niether would break any records but for me it was a great thrill to finally have got something on sp's. i've got the bug now and cant wait for my next fishing adventure.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you managed to open your account on the SP's Dave...

Nailed a River2Sea also

Stoked for ya mate, onward and upward from here

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

OnYah Dave, it's a buzz isn't it when you score on artificials?!

Sandworms rock and i bet you think so too?!

Pete
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

gotta love those sandworms . i cut them in half like everyone seems to do and fished the head end. my mate was using a hb and had no luck at all.
    still learning the finer aspects of retrieval but believe me from the size i just got , the fish can only get bigger . something to look forward to !

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave

Good score with the mishap

SP's are great for all styles of fishing and you will find the thrill of the challenge will get you doing it more and more. The thing to remember is think like a bait fish and imitate the same. Slow retrieves with a couple of quick twitches here and there, as well as a pause here and there. It is on the pause that you usually get nailed.
    I won't give to much away in one post or I wont have anything to write about later but I hope you keep going with them.
    Also don't be scared to bring the lure to the surface and watch how it behaves when you are working your rod, different lures work in different ways. It makes it easier to work out how fast or slow the retrieve needs to be to make it look as natural and lifelike as possible, when you can see it working in the water.

Enjoy the challenge
    Eric&Deb

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

hey there
    yeah i pulled the sp back and forth to see how it acts and gave it a couple of slow twitches with some time between that seemed to work. ive entered a comp that happens at the end of march so ive been casting up my drive way for accuracy(corny but true)and fishing every week end. ive got one strudwick rod and have two shimano sustain reels on layby so hopefully soon i will get one more rod and really get into the bream scene.im loving the challenge of lures.thankfully ive started a job recently that gives me more freedom on week ends. just need to train the missus.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Been MIA with sickness lately so a late reply Dave.

Great to see you nailed a finiky bream on a "plastic" (another issue altogether there those gulps but I'm not going there).

Some really sound advice has been posted here. One thing I will add about HB's tho after you mentioned your mate had no success. So often a different retrieve will change your day. Sometimes a steady retrieve will do the trick, but other days a pause, twitch pause may work. As has been said you usually get nailed on the pause.

Then there's the issue of colour - green is great in bright sunlight and darker more natural colours for the shadows.

Also update your trebles to Owner stingers - hookups will increase ten fold.

Then there's the issue of floaters, sinkers and suspending lures that's for another day.

Well done mate

Oh yeah most important with all artificials - SLOW, SLOW, SLOW and then a bit slower again you will be suprised what a difference it will make
    "stocky fireman, family man and fishing tragic from WA"
    Mike Larder, Inside Sport Jan '07

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gulp worms will certainly catch fish. In my part of the world they can be a bit annoying as small fish seem to love em. Big fish will eat em but you can ending spending a lot of money on small fish.

As for slow retrieve they seem to fish alright just used as a bait and left still on the bottom. This certainly blurs the line between bait/artificial and plastic/bait.
    forum whore hunter