Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Bull Shark

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bull Shark

With all the Bull Sharks in our river systems , I thought I might out and try and catch a few . Whats the best way to try and get a few of these canal pest.

Rob
    Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.....

ActiveAnglerCrew

My understanding is dead mullet rigged on 9/0's with a nice 100 pound wire leader and hold on.

Ando_04 - are you able to assist.

Cheers

Active Angler Crew.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't take this the wrong way guys, but to be honest, the last thing I would want to do it give these things any sort of a taste that would get them going. We've been pretty lucky in the Swan and Canning Rivers here with very few if any attacks, but I've seen plenty and a very long way up the back of the Swan in places.

My only fear with these aggressive sharks is that with some of the fish kills we've had, it may not be long before they need to look for a new food source.
    ----------------------------------------
    There's a fine line between fishing
    and standing on a beach looking like
    an idiot

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bull Sharks

Our canals are littered with them , l don't see a problem with catching and killing these fish don't get me wrong when it comes to game fishing I am 100% tag and release , but there are way more bull sharks in our canal system than people realise , we cull kangaroo's , dingo's , horse's , cats ect and none of those animals are life threatning to humans so whats the problem with putting a dent in the bull shark population.....think about how many Jacks they are eating

Rob

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a thing on Teli this morning I think it was, and they were talking about the increasing numbers of Sharks in our River Systems across Australia. 15 fatalities in the past decade... And it's going to get a hell of alot worse.

Call this a rant if you may, but we are having the same sort of trouble up here in FNQ with Cassowary's. After the Cyclone, they were left with practically nothing to eat and nowhere to go, so the 'Smart Minded Humans' decided to leave food scraps etc around there yards, encouraging the Birds to come and get a feed. Call it Kind Hearted if you must, but they really didn't think it through very well. This led the 'Wary's all over Innisfail and Co, and it so happened that alot (Dozens infact) were hit by Cars and Trucks in the process. This goes for Sharks aswell... Hence why there have been so many Inshore Deaths from these Animals in the past few years. Fishing for Sharks would be alot of Fun for sure, but as Bear said if you give them any taste, they'll be back for good. Best to leave it for the Authorities to deal with...

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest i dont't no much about sharking, most people many use live baits, and wire trace. Im not really into shark fishing so not the person to ask .
    cheers ando

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob.

The guy who does the 'charter' on that platform in the broadwater uses live stingrays as bait.. and he never misses apparently !

I'd suggest a nice smelly mullet under a Balloon and a bit of messy burley.

Just don't do it near my place please...

Cheers

Wayne
    Chasing "The Donkey" in 07/08

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bully

Wayne did you see yesterdays Gold Coast Bulletin there is talk of a State government backed bullshark Tournamemt

I think this will be a great way to raise awareness of bullshark numbers in our canals.

Or as Bear said will this just BRING THEM ON.

Rob

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Tournament ??

COOOOOL ! At last I can get the Flying Gaffs out for something !

We fishing it in my 3.7m Tinny... or one of your boats ?

Saw a 1.5m shark out the back the other day. The mullet are damn nervous on the high tide.

Chasing "The Donkey" in 07/08