Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Fish Turning Up Around WA

Dont want this to turn into a great debate about illegal stocking of fish in WA,
    Saw in the last edition of West Australian Fishing Magazine a fella that had caught himself a nice Murray Cod in Perth public waters, I believe it's a well kept secret but apparently theres all sorts of other natives Bass, Perch etc in WA, have been racking my brain as to where they are, could be, is it the lake near my house, only one way to find out I guess and thats to try.

Hyper Tackle

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

It is frustrating that fisheries won't work with us as other have in other states to stock a species we actually want to catch.

The cod location isn't too much of a secret. It a stocked farm, not sure where, where you can pay to fish. There are some monsters there. The other locations are a well kept secret and really go to show what we COULD have here in WA. 2.85kg bass in WA, and that's what I've managed to land. Just imagine

Maybe one day I'll win lotto and stock my own.
    ----------------------------------------
    There's a fine line between fishing
    and standing on a beach looking like
    an idiot

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i saw that pic . it was caught last year . good size fish . makes you wonder if he was somewhere he shouldnt have been
    So many fish , so little time !

www.ozshop.fscstore.com

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunate indeed would be brilliant to have some of these fish on tap like our Eastern States counterparts, but I think in reality as Bear mentioned our fisheries dept seems to be dead against it even though they're there already anyway.

In the past a lot of our waters were stocked including Perths lakes why not now? doesn't make much sense really.

Theres always Golden Ponds never had a fish there but they have a few species there, and I'm going to fish the lake near my house because you just never know?

Dave I dont know if the guy was meant to be there or not but with fish like that I cant really blame him for trespassing if he was?

Hyper Tackle

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have been right behind him with rod in hand no matter were it was

thats the sort of fish that is worth the risk . i spoke to a bloke up here in northam who looks after the small bird sanctuary next to the avon river .
    he says that when he was young they used to catch fish in the river but he couldnt remember what sort . he said they died when the river dried up decades ago . I wouldnt mind knowing what could be put there that wouldnt damage the surroundings .
    So many fish , so little time !

www.ozshop.fscstore.com

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave I'm sure with a bit of research you may be able to find out what fish were there originally, dont know if they'd survive these days due to the salinity?

Hyper Tackle

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

hehe, I too know what fish use to be up there in the Avon
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me more adidaspeteman?

Hyper Tackle

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Mulloway
    ----------------------------------------
    There's a fine line between fishing
    and standing on a beach looking like
    an idiot

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Mulloway , I think I get it

Cant find any info what the upper reaches of the Avon used to contain or possibly still does, I know its a system thats in dire straits due to silting and salinity and the problems are slowly moving down further and further.
    Must have been something prior to european settlement, with plenty on tap for the local Aborigines, so much for progress hey

Speaking of Mulloway the lure shown in my avatar is being used to target Mulloway, according to the guys in Compleat Angler Sydney

Hyper Tackle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast