Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FNQ Report # 3 - 26th February 2007

The miserable weather continues up here in the North, with constant daily drizzle here on the Tablelands, whilst they are experiencing heavier falls on the Coast. It's these types of weekends we spend playng with tackle! Limited opportunities for Fishing on weekends have meant that most anglers have had the boat packed reay to hit Tinaroo or the Barron on the coast, until they hit the ramp and it starts to rain! I havn't heard of any decent fish coming out of Tinaroo since Ian Kucurs 6kg Tippet WR about a fortnight ago, however I would imagine if it starts to fine up abit the anglers from on the Coast will no doubt come up and give it a shot.

Action on the Coast has again been hard work, and not many fish have been caught I can tell you that! Bluewater seems to be to rough, and the chances of meeting a nasty storm out there is quite high. The freshwater streams on the Coast will no doubt be going like hell, and for it to be productive fishing wise it must slow down a tad.

Apart from that, what can I tell you... The weather has been shocking! But, thats what you have to put up with when you live in paradise! I'll say it once again, when it fines up most anglers will hit Tinaroo... A good few days of pure sunlight after weeks of drizzle will bring the fish on big time!

Theo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Theo, the rain surely puts a damper on the fishing of late. All the estuaries are dark brown also tree litter washed down from all the mountains. Everytime we even think of taking out the boat another ball of rain clouds reappear. Today looks good though but the strong SE winds have placed another reason to just look at our tackle instead of using it. Late yesterday afternoon we went to Palm Cove jetty and even the ocean is a dark ominous colour. But at least it is good to see the clearing skies and to see the QE11 anchored just off shore. What a spectacular sight it was too. Very memorable and moving. There were fishos on the jetty too and they admitted the water was too dirty for fish to be there and they had not had a bite all afternoon.
    Tomorrow is another day and with the good high tides in the morning then lets hope I have something with scales to report
    Cheers
    Rose

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Rose,

Hope the fishing improves down there for you and Terry. Today was actually a dry day for a change, so it might have been a good opportunity to head out for a flick. Have you heard of any fish being caught at the moment? Thomatis Creek would be worth a shot if sunlight prevails over the next coming days.

Hows that car of yours going?

Cheers

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... thats two dry day's in a row we have had! Fingers crossed for the weekend... might give the Dirrin River a shot if it holds up. She'll be raging, but after 3 weeks of no fishing, I don't really care!

Cheers

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Theo
    Went to look at the Barron and Thomatis yesterday and they looked like barbecue sauce topped with white foam. So we will wait now and see what this Low Pressure come Cyclone is going to do before we venture out. But today the wind has dropped so we may drop a line in somewhere as we are both have withdrawal symptoms.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot also to reply to your question regarding the new Hyundai Tucson. Its the best 4X4 we have ever owned and so smooth and full of extras. I especially love the Auto transmission and so much power too.
    If we go fishing at all today I promise to give you the low down too.
    Cheers
    Rose

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to reply to your initial question too. All the local fishos we have spoken too also report nothing. All say the same thing, too windy, water too dirty and not a sign of any bait fish whatsoever.
    But now the rain has gone and the winds easing and the great high tides things may get better. It all depends on what I stated before, that Low Pressure hovering off Cairns. I just hope it goes down south where it is needed to fill up those empty dams.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Rose! Good to hear the 4B is doing well too! I could just imagine it down on the coast right now fishing wise... Would be good at all! Heard a report from a local (backed up by a picutre) of a nice Tinaroo fish caught on Tuesday morning infront of the Holiday Park. 115cm and 25kg - Fairly solid fish for it's year class. Caught on a Storm Wild-eye plastic.

Cheers

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah poor fishing at the moment. Its happened this time of the year for the past two years. Too windy for the reef with less than 5m visibility, and high flooding in the rivers. The best choice is to get prepared for when the fishing improves. Its miserable being out there and the flooded conditions lead to no chance of success. Shane and I braved it one Saturday night at the Barron two weeks ago and really wish stayed dry. A pretty poor choice to keep going out in thse conditions if you ask me.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

As I promised 2 days ago. Fish or no fish I would give a report.
    We went out for the last 2 days and would you believe it at all no fish except 8 X 30cm to 60cm sharks. What a terrible thought if this is the way fishing will end up one day. Anyway, all that we have spoken too in the last 2 days all say the same. No bait fish or good bites only baby sharks tearing up the tackle.
    One good thing though is the ocean is getting a lot clearer today. So Monday morning early we are heading to Thomatis Creek and try to catch some threadfin.
    Cheers
    Rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast