Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Once bitten twice shy

Went for a bash with adidaspeteman last week wading flats on the Swan River, funny thing happenned that dispells any myth that fish become weary of lures when they are caught and released.

Pete hooked up a little Bream and unfortunately hooked it in the eye giving it a bit of a blood eye, the fish was quickly released and what do you know I hooked the same one next cast because we recognized the bloody eye.

It must have been awfully hungry or just plain stupid.

Not a very big fish, wonder if it's twice bitten twice shy.

Hyper Tackle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate I'll lock in B - Plain Stupid!!!

My first fish was a 30cm Spangled Perch (Fairly big for its species) when I was 7. Remember getting it on land and picking up and dropping it a few times as I was a bit frightened to hold it. Ended up releasing it. 10mins later I got him again... Same fish as the scales were all roughed up and right on 30cm... Stupid bloody fish! Nah I won't be too hard on it... Id say food was scarce and it liked the Ox-Heart I was fishing with!

Cheers

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yer a lot of folks reckon that the Bream learn fast but I dont know about that one.

It was funny because we were fishing about 100 metres away at first and we were watching the Bream swim up to our lures and then turn away, that area was pretty heavily fished I'd say and the Bream were wiser, but out on the flats where not too many people fish we picked up a fair few, if it was because they hadn't had too many lures thrown at them I dont know.

I know that there are some huge Bream in the Swan River but it seems that they are a rare catch maybe basic survival instinct after living for 30 years or so. Maybe the smaller ones are just plain stupid.

We did catch bigger ones than the fish I'm holding the one shown is the fish that was caught twice in quick succession, it was released for a second time, 3 very nice Bartail Flathead were picked up that day as well as Tarwhine plenty of Bream mostly Rats but a few size and thousands of Blowfish

Flattie caught by adidaspeteman "great fish mate"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hooked a number of fish twice in a short period of time. The wrasse and flathead I have done it too are probably not considered too clever but Ive hooked a trout twice in ten minutes on the same fly pattern so they dont learn real fast either.

Many say that bream return to the mob and shut the whole bite down. Im not convinced. It would be nice to answer the question as there are lots of livewells running around full of fish that probably should be swimming with their mates.
    forum whore hunter