Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Postcard from NSW.....

I decided it was time to cross the border, so I spent 2 weeks in Feb in the balmy Central Coast of NSW - Lake Macquarie to be precise to catch up with some family, including my Great-Grandfather for his 100th B'day!!

Anyway, my Dad lives only 5 minutes from the 'Lake' which has some awesome fishing. Some trophy species could be caught being, Bream, Snapper, BIG Lizards, Jewfish, Tailor, Salmon and many other Estuary fish.

I took a couple of rods with me so Dad could have a crack with some Placcies. After a brief demonstration, Dad nailed his first Bream on SP's - Yellowfin Bream ofcourse at around 32cm, which is not too bad for these parts. After ashamedly being beaten to the first Bream by Dad, I flogged around for a while eventually smacking one of a similar size just on dusk.

Our next session saw us targetting some Lizard Flatties. Last time I was here we scored one at 80cm - so I had high expectations! But that was on bait - we were hoping for some plaction action. Being shore-based restricted us a bit, as there is some sweet water to be had by boat. Not long into a jetty bash and Dad had his first Flattie - but small compared to what we were after, then a Flounder on SP's, then a Squid - the man is on fire!! Couple of small F'chaps finished off the session.

We decided to get up early to score some Schhnapper!! Dad admitted to me that had not actually fished since I was last up there - what's going on there Dad? Are you gay or summin?? We rose a 4am had a quick cuppa and hit the water. We were using bait in the early hours to see what we could tempt, and not long into it we snared a Snapper each. At one stage The Old Man came over to catch a glipse of mine in the dark when CRRUUNCH - He trod on my BD Rod It looked ok at the time, but next cast saw about 10inches fly off - Bugger

After a spectacular sunrise, we dragged out some SP's - and looked forward to some Snapper on placcies - no love on this particular day, but I did snare a Flattie of around 60cm. When he smacked the lure and ripped a few metres off the drag I thought it was summin HUUGE! We moved to a likely LIZARD location with some bait rods as we needed to cast way out to a sand bar. We managed to hook 2 BIG ones and lost them both. 1 snapped the hook, the other snapped 25lb mono! We got sight of one and he would have been in excess of 90cm for sure.

One of our last missions saw us landing both the smallest Bream and Snapper I have ever seen - and heaps of them! As soon as the lure hit the water, they'd smack it! Hungry little Bartlett's! Good fun though.

We caught various other fish - some of which were unknown? Dad assures me that next time I go up - he'll have a boat, hurry up Old Man

Dad and his first fish on SP's

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Squid on placcies....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Early morning flickin'...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sccchhnapper......

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit bigger this one.....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Flatchap.....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

One hairy bloke......

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Caught quite a few of these - dunno what they are though??

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Teeny weeny Breambo.....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby Sccchhnapps.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast