Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FNQ Report # 5 - 29th March 2007

Hey guys,

Just a quick report from me tonight...

While the weather has been pretty good around the FNQ of late, with isolated showers here and there, mixed in with the heavier showers, I have observed something which is of significance up here on the Tablelands - quite chilly nights. While cold nights are always common practice up here where I am, they have come alot earlier then usual, and this could have quite a large effect on the fishing. With the cold nights comes the cloudless days, and although this is a good sign, we could go quite a few months without seeing any rain. The situation seems totally different on the Coast. I spent all day Monday in Cairns, and although it was really really hot like it sometimes is with the humidty really high, the sun was very hot. Lucky I spent most of the day on the Squash Courts and not running around outside!

There continues to be quite a few Barra being landed at Tinaroo, but as I stated with this cool change begining to kick in the action will start to slow. Live baiting of late has seen mindblowing action, with a mate of mine catching quite a few towards Peterson Creek, most fish over the magic metre. Koombooloomba is still receiving a little rain, and its current level of 95% has been steady for the last month and a bit. With AA coming up to Cairns soon I can not wait to hit the Dam again and hopefully get amongst some metre plus fish in and around the timber which Koomba is noted for. Tinaroo sits at 92% by the way. Further South and Peter Faust continues to fire, and the minority of ABT anglers continue to hit it up on a weekend basis. Peter Faust I am told is around 38%, which isnt too bad considering the shortage of water down South.

The Bluewater hasnt been red hot of late, with poor conditions being experienced out there. However anglers will no doubt be hitting up on the usual species and will bag out. Estuaries and Streams down on the Coast are starting to ease abit, and this will spur on the Freshwater anglers like myself to make the trip down and hit up the JP and possible Jack. Mate of mine at Bramston Beach sent me an email during the week to let me know that in half an hours fishing off the Rocks at Bramston he managed to slay 20 whiting in a matter of half an hour, with most of the fish over 40cms! Obviously a case of being in the right place at the right time, as tide times of late havnt been encouraging enough.

Tight lines

Theo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld